Chapter 42

I was out of breath but my legs wouldn't stop moving. I was running like a train on autopilot, without a driver.

The 2 Kilometre deserted lane seemed longer than its actual distance. I had to go somewhere crowded. I could see the last crossroad ahead of me, after which was the main road with people everywhere.

Right when my destination seemed to be closer to me, the train halted. Much ahead of me was a chance for me to survive and even before it was the same boy who was in my house.

I was sure that night was going to remain etched on my memory forever.

I panted heavily. The air was a veil of haziness. The frosty air was unnerving. My throat was burning for some reason — as if someone had poured a glass of sulphur down my throat. My vision seemed to morph into the frosty darkness.

This night. If someone asks me to describe fear, I would tell them about this night, if only I lived to tell my story.

A huge black figure stood at the crossroad, under the flickering light. A silhouette radiating fear and darkness. A silhouette of
Ethan Miler.

I felt my ribs cracking. I was choking on air.

The flickering street light above him showed his face momentarily before switching back to the dark, scary silhouette.

"Why?!" I cried out and he was gone in a blink.

I couldn't control myself from breaking down. Ethan had been haunting me. I didn't have anything to do with his death, then why me?!

"Gwen." A cold breath hit my neck as he whispered in my ear. I shivered, finding it hard to stand up on my feet and started running again.

I ran by the cross road where Ethan had been standing. The flickering street light blacked out and I shuddered.

While running, I turned my head back and saw the dark figure standing where I had kneeled.

"Leave me alone!" I yelled between sobs and right when I turned to look ahead, a black car turned into the lane and almost crushed me under its tiers. The driver pressed the brakes right on time and I fell down, traumatized with everything that just happened.

Ethan is haunting me. I just escaped death. He stared at me, like he wanted me dead too, like himself. He did it. He did everything. I liked him and got this in return.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" Edwin yelled at me as he got off the car.