5. Tea party. Nobles. Lillian York.

Béatrice, the Empress's lady in waiting, wasn't a very chatty person. That enchanted me. The silence her barely noticeable presence brought me allowed me to admire the insides of the Emerald palace in peace. It also allowed me the luxury of having a few minutes to plunge myself into thoughts.

After having met empress Morgana, my opinion about her was still very neutral. Although I still don't like her, because who could possibly like someone who treated Claude so badly, I definitely still didn't hate hate her. She was straightforward and immediately pounced on what she wanted. It was a bit intimidating but I feel a little bit more motivated now. She was impressive. It is hard to hate someone you admit you're looking up to.

Béatrice suddenly stopped. I stopped as well just before I bumped into her.

"It is here, miss Penelope. Usually the second prince is here around this time." She sounded somewhat uncomfortable.

I looked at the door. It was definitely not the same as the Empress's. The quality of the hall I'm standing in seemed made for the servants. There was a bit of dust here and there, not plenty, but it wasn't as properly taken care of as the rest of the palace. There were almost no decorations, or just mediocre ones.

"It's very...simple...here." I noticed "What is here?"

"This is where miss Adriana lives."

"Who?" I feel stupid for asking.

Feeling stupid, feeling small...

I shoved the ABBA song out of my head. Even if that's exactly how I'm feeling right now. I need my entire focus these days. Now is not the time for my exhausted brain to take a time off. I do admit that one of the many things I miss from my old life is modern music along with access to knowledge 24/7 thanks to the Wifi. I sure could use a handy version of Who made me a princess here right now. My memory is starting to get hazy.

"Miss Adriana is his majesty's mistress."

It didn't take long for me to understand.

"And so my fiancé's mother." I nodded comprehensively as I recalled the frail bedridden woman. I wonder what is her illness. It was stated that she just had a weak physic, but since I do have some knowledge about diseases from my real world, perhaps I could figure out a way to help her? I'm sure Claude would be happier, though I doubt I'd ever get the chance to even take a look at her for real.

Béatrice nodded in return and knocked:

"Highness?" She asked "Your fiancée is here to see you."

We heard some low voices and waited a bit before the door opened slightly and Claude slipped out, closing the door hastily.

"Penelope." He noted "You are here."

He was dressed in a simple white t-shirt and a pair of black shorts, but it suited him very well. His expression upon seeing me was neutral. He was wearing the friendship bracelet I gifted him.

"Hello Claude." I said happily while Beatrice made a slightly concerned expression upon hearing me freely call out his name.

"The Empress gave you two the permission to attend the little tea party the crown prince is hosting." Beatrice informed him.

Claude looked surprised. He turned to me: "Do you intend to go?"

"Only if you do. I'm here to spend time with you, whatever it is we do." I shrugged. Honestly I don't want to butt-heads with other nobles, especially kids, but socializing might be good for Claude.

I feel responsible for him. He's barely older than the age of my two little brothers back in my old life. Claude right now is 8 while I had died at age 14. Technically I'm still 6 years ahead of him although he doesn't know this.