8. The mother

"My lady."

"My lady."

"Miss."

"Missssssss."

"Missssssss Penelope!"

"Miss!"

"Miss Penelope!"

"Lady Judith?"

"Pfft Daisy. Don't use that title yet. It's lazy Judith. Not lady Judith."

"But miss I-"

"Pfft. Penny. Give me the letter!!!"

Roselia snatched the letter out of my hands. I still stayed idle. I am dazed. I am in a trance. I...am...in a trance. I am thrilled. I am excited. I'm in a mood where I cannot react. I am simply dazed.

I'm also in pain. Roselia's sudden act left a paper cut on my delicate palms. Oh god it stings.

"So." Roselia's cat-like voice screeched in my ears while Daisy and Jane surrounded her, peeking in the paper. She let them.

And she read me the letter, truly making the words sink down my brain. Just reading it once didn't have enough effect on me.

Dear Penelope,

---•Roselia complains about the awful 8 year old caligraphy of Claude's•---

I hope you are doing well. My mother asks to meet you. Can you come tomorrow?

Claude.

I bounced up the bed, snatched the letter back, and re-read everything. Yes, Roselia is right, what hideous handwriting indeed, but it is exactly what you'd expect of an 8 year old child. But I couldn't help myself from staring at his signature.

Claude.

Tomorrow.

His mother?!

"He sent an invitation to you," Roselia resumed "So that you'd go meet his mother?!"

She said mother with venom. Much of it. The way I think she sees it, the fact that I've been summoned to a meeting with the emperor's mistress is dishonoring to me. I believe that perhaps in this society's beliefs, it might be true.

If I were the real Penelope I would get offended, rip this invitation to shreds, and then burn the pieces. But I won't do that. Should I accept? Tomorrow is very early. I don't have much time to think.

"Should I accept?" I asked out loud.

"Goodness no!" Roselia screeched on top of her lungs "Dear gods, Penny!!! The emperor's concubine is not worth it!! They think you're simple enough to meet with the sickly mistress!! How insulting! Penny why do you even ask, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!"

Daisy and Jane took a few steps back, surprised by the loud voice Roselia carried.

I want to turn into a cat and swipe her face, but she did have a point. Words is going to get out and then everything Penelope has built up till now could crumble down.

But still.

This is Claude we're talking about. He wrote this letter himself. I didn't want to refuse.

Perhaps I should actually do what I want to? I'll deal with the consequences later. Besides, Adriana is worth meeting. She's Claude's mother after all. I don't see her as worthless like literally everybody else.

"You know what?" I said firmly "I'm going."

"Sister you lost your mind!!" Roselia gasped. Daisy looked equally shocked while Jane just stood there, being chill and everything, nudging Daisy as if she was saying: I told ya.