12. Banquet

I had arrived early to the palace today to be escorted by Claude into the ballroom so that we'll look like a properly engaged couple. (The Empress still takes extra measures for in cases. Whatever happens, she had to make sure to not damage the reputation of the royal family and unfortunately for her, the royal family included Claude). Honestly, how things are going I'm fairly certain I'm the one escorting him and not the other way around.

I'm sitting in his room right now, legs crossed on his bed while he had a silent mental crisis, changing into his outfit. I don't know why he looked like the world was dying, it was an awesome outfit! It was a beautiful marine blue with golden lining! I had touched the fabric and it was so soft! So pleasing to the touch! The texture was so smooth it was heavenly. I couldn't wait to see him in it.

My back faced him since I was not allowed to look while he's changing and vice versa. Jane was still combing my front hair so I had to stay very still. She had made a pretty big deal about me having to come here to prepare myself. However she wasn't displeased when she found out she was allowed to use the combs and other things belonging to the royal palace. I swear though, they're the exact same ones we have at home.

The maids assigned to Claude worked more slowly then Jane who singlehandedly dressed me under 10 minutes, leaving her much time to put on her favorite bonus touches. We could see the carriages lining up out the window. The guests were coming.

"And voilà!" Jane said as she brought me a mirror "Would you perhaps like a bit more lipstick?"

"No! No no this is great thank you Jane! You did good work!" I said quickly, seeing how she already took out the red tube. Girls this young shouldn't wear too much makeup. I personally don't like it since it's a pain to take it off. "Am I overdressed?"

"No! I'd almost say underdressed!" Jane stated.

To her I'll never be decorated enough. The dress we chose was a simple purple with floral drawings in silver linings (since Roselia insisted once again that she'll be wearing the green dress) in a style that was in the trend. It was a tight corset but Penelope had a good fitted shape. It went all the way down to my feet. I had chosen this dress specifically so that I could cover up Claude's bad dancing with it. See how much I think 12 steps ahead?

There's no other choice when you have such a clumsy innocent fiancé.

I had a pair of purple amethyst earrings and matching bracelets and necklace. My shoes themselves had tiny amethysts on them. Count Judith really invested a lot of money in his daughters 'clothing.

I looked elegant enough. I didn't need more. No need for extravagance.

I asked Jane to leave my hair half-loose although she said a bun would look better. But no, I didn't feel like a bun. A 9 year old doesn't need a super stylish coiffure. I left Jane the liberty of placing as many accessories on my hair as she pleased, my only condition was that it stayed loose enough to cover my back. She had straightened my curly hair completely. I had an average sized purple bow on the back of my hair and a fake lavender crown on the top of my head. It was beautiful, simply gorgeous.

"All done!" One of the maids who tended to Claude clapped her hands and I turned back.

Immediately I wished (once again) that I had my phone. I would've taken thousands of photos of Claude in an outfit. It fitted him perfectly! Blue was his color! He looked so dignified!

"You look very handsome Claude." I complimented him as I got closer, eyeing the other maids out. I scanned him while he remained speechless. I noticed first hand the mistake made at his collar. "I'm going to fix this. It is wrong."