eight

Bonnie drove the car and Caroline looked straight at the other blonde who should be at home crying but instead was sitting down in a car driving to the comet night

Bonnie drove the car and Caroline looked straight at the other blonde who should be at home crying but instead was sitting down in a car driving to the comet night. "Cass it's ok if we don't go ." Caroline put her hand over Cassie's hand getting her attention. "No let's go. I'm not upset it's not like I cared."

Lie

Cassie didn't care for them but no one deserves to die. Not even the people you hate most. "Everyone dies. No one likes it. But it's just natural. It's supposed to happen ." Cassie sighed. For a moment she didn't even realize the tears building up in her eyes. "So it doesn't matter." Cassie plastered a fake smile on her face blinking her tears away. Caroline and Bonnie both frowned knowing the girl wouldn't own up to the fact that she was sad.

***

"Hey guys." Elena Gilbert walked towards Bonnie and Caroline holding a candle in her hand. "Hey." Caroline mumbled. "Why do you look so worried?" Elena laughed at the two tense girls. "It's Cassie." Bonnie told her. Elena frowned. "Did you not hear what happened?" Caroline asked . Elena simply shrugged. "Cassie's foster parents died." Caroline whisper-shouted. "What?"

***

Stefan walked over to the Ellfire girl who was sitting on a bench looking up at the stars completely in her own world. "Hey." Stefan said. Cassie carried on looking at the stairs. "I've always loved stars." Cassie whispered to Stefan. "I never really bothered to look at them ." Stefan admitted. "Whenever I had a fight with my foster parents I'd always look up at the stars and name every single constellation. It calms me more than anything else " Cassie told him truthfully ,finally looking at him. "That one's called Cassiopeia." She told him pointing to the sky smiling. "I heard what happened with your foster par-" Stefan was cut off by Cassie ." Can we not talk about that right now." Cassie pleaded. "Sure." Stefan nodded.

"Who taught you the constellations?" Stefan asked after a few seconds if staring. "My father." Cassie smiled at the memory.

Ten year old Cassie lay on the roof with her father. "Mommy would yell at us if she saw us." Cassie giggled . "This will be our little secret ." Cassie's father smiled. "Can you tell me more about the stars?" Cassie asked pointing up and them. "Of course princess." He replied ruffling her hair making cassie giggle even more.

"You know I was going to names Cassiopeia." Cassie said. "Really,why weren't you?" Stefan asked. "My mom didn't like constellations like my dad did. She didn't like the name. So in the end they settled with something close enough to that. " Cassie explained. "Would you have been liked to be called Cassiopeia?" Stefan said making the girl giggle."Cassiopeia was the queen of Aethiopia, was the wife of King Cepheus, daughter of Coronus and Zeuxo. She was very beautiful and vain but she committed hubris by saying that she and her daughter Andromeda were more beautiful that the daughters of the sea god Nereus, called the Nereids. She wasn't the nicest person but it's a nice name at least." Cassie chuckled. "So you know a lot about stars. " Stefan said. Cassie nodded making the boy smile. "Would you do the honours of giving me a lesson on stars Ms Cassiopeia." Stefan said in a posh accent making Cassie burst out laughing. "Of course kind sir." Cassie copied the British accent.

At that moment Cassie forgot about everything else in the world except stars and Stefan.

Cassie and Stefan sat on that bench talking about the stars . Cassie pointed at the constellations telling all of the stories she knew off by heart. Stefan sat there and listened not interrupting her at any moment . For a moment he just stared at her . She had a huge smile on her face as she talked about stars and constellations. "Thank you Stefan." She turned to face him. "For what?" Stefan furrowed his eyebrows. "Listening." She said simply . "It was my honour Ms Cassiopeia." Stefan started on the British accent again making the girls smile grow wider. "Hey why don't we find out more about eachother." Cassie faced the boy . "Sure. Favourite colour?" Stefan agreed. "Purple for sure." Cassie answered with out hesitation. "What about you?" Cassie asked. "Blue probably ." Stefan shrugged . "Blue is pretty too. It reminds me of the sky." Cassie nodded. "Favourite book?" Stefan asked next. "They both die at the end." She answered . "Why?" Stefan asked. To him that book was really sad. "It proves you can fall in love with someone faster than with someone you've known for half of your life" Cassie stared into the distance smiling imagining falling I love some day.

"Where do you want to be in the future?" Stefan asked. "I want to be married . Have my June wedding. Maybe kids. A job relating working with the stars." Cassie answered as if she had practiced her answer over and over again. Stefan smiled as the girl who was still explaining her future .

"Why didn't you tell us you had a brother?" Cassie asked making stefan freeze. "Sorry I shouldn't have said that." Cassie apologized regretting everything she just said a moment later. "No it's okay." Stefan Nervously laughed at the now also nervous girl. "We just aren't close." Stefan simply answered. "That must be terrible. How long have you not seen him for?" Cassie asked being slightly nosy. "A few years." Stefan lied. "A few years. That's rough." Cassie sighed feeling pity for the boy. "Are you happy he's back?" Cassie said . "In a way yes." Stefan told her truthfully. "Do you want to stop talking about this?" Cassie finally asked. "Yeah sure." Stefan answered quickly.

"How about you tell me more of the stories about the constellations. That brought a smile to Cassie's face as she started pointing up at the sky pointing at each constellation describing each one as if she read about it thousands of times. At that moment Cassie didn't have a care in the world.

That was their night. Just Stefan and Cassie's .