Chapter Three

Anakin almost sprinted to his speeder, so full of excitement to see Padme.

When he finally made it to her apartment, he decided it would be best not to enter through the balcony, considering all of the people who could be watching. When he came to the front door, he took a quick look down the hallway, only to be relieved that there was not a person in sight. So, he decided to enter on his own and surprise her.

When he entered the apartment, Anakin noticed that the lights were off, all except in the kitchen, from which the sound of washing dishes could be heard. With a devious smile, he walked to the kitchen as stealthily as possible, ready to scare Padme.

He jumped in and shouted, and heard the terrified shriek of...Threepio. Anakin's look of delight quickly changed to one of utter disappointment.

"Master Ani! You gave me quite a fright just now. Why, I thought you were a threat. You are quite lucky that I didn't attack you,might I say. I could have seriously injured you, or maybe even killed you! You know, this reminds me of the time when-"

"Threepio! Where's Padme?" said Anakin.

"Oh. I do believe Mistress Padme was not expecting you tonight. She has been with the Senate all day. She may not return until late in the night, I'm afraid. I'm sorry, Master Ani."

Anakin sighed. "It's alright, Threepio. I guess I'll...just wait here for her then." And with his shoulders slumped and his head down, Anakin collapsed on the sofa and waited for his wife to return.

And waited.

And waited some more.

'Maybe if I just close my eyes for two seconds, I'm exhausted,' thought Anakin.

♦️

Padme quietly crept into the apartment, and shut the door behind her. Unlike normal behavior for a organized, distinguished senator, she kicked off her shoes and let her hair down, letting the thick curls flow down her back.

As she went to set down her bag on the coffee table, something caught her eye. More like someone. It was Anakin, fast asleep on the couch. As much as she wanted to wake him so she could hug and kiss him and never let go, she knew better. He must have been so tired.

Padme stared at his peaceful, handsome face for a few more seconds before she headed to bed herself. Though she would much rather have Anakin lying beside her, she decided it would be best to let him sleep.

"Goodnight, my love. Sleep well," Padme whispered.