Chapter Thirty

Padmé lay in bed, staring at her holopad with a frown. News of the war was projected in front of her face.

More suffering. More death.

Chancellor Palpatine promised that the end of the war was near, but Padmé did not see an end in sight. She shook her head. There was just no way he could be that blind to the chaos around him. She certainly wasn't. She also wasn't blind to the fact that her old mentor and friend continued to gain power as the war dragged on.

Dangerous power.

Suddenly, Anakin came into the room, interrupting her thoughts. "What are you reading?" he asked as he sat beside her.

She smiled and answered his question with one of her own. "What do you think?"

Anakin looked as though he had just eaten a mouthful of rankweed. "Politics?"

Padmé sighed. "I see I shall never persuade you to take interest in what I do." Anakin playfully rolled his eyes. He received a blow to the chest with a pillow in return. He took the pillow from her and held it away from her reach.

"Oh, and you 'take interest' in what I do? C'mon, Padmé. I thought you were supposed to be good at debating." He gave a hearty laugh, something he hadn't done in a long time, as he watched her lips form a deep scowl. He then proceeded to take off his belt and tunic until he was only in his sleep pants, and then crawled under the blanket with her. With a wave of his hand, the room went dark.

Padmé curled up beside him and pressed her ear to his chest, listening to her husband's heartbeat. The two of them stayed like that for several minutes, wrapped in each other's arms, when Padmé spoke softly, barely above a whisper. "Ani? Are you still awake?"

"Yes. What is it?" he asked, rubbing her arm tenderly.

"Ani, do you ever think about the future?" she whispered into the darkness. Padmé grimaced when she felt Anakin's entire body stiffen at her words. He knew where this was going.

It was a while before he answered. "Yeah." Anakin didn't want to continue this conversation. Not now, anyway. "Padmé, I'm not gonna play the fool and act like I don't know what you're talking about." When there was no response, he continued. "We've talked about this before. I want to start a family as much as you do; nothing would make me happier. But there's-"

"A war going on, I know. I know, Ani. But the longer this conflict goes on, the more I long for a child. A child with you."

Anakin's heart fluttered at her words. He knew them to be true, but it still amazed him to hear her say them. "I promise, Padmé, after the war is over, I will give you the family you want. The family we want." He kissed the crown of her head. "I would do anything for you, my Angel," he whispered, lips touching her ear.

At this, Padmé turned to meet his lips with hers, eyes brimming with tears. They kissed passionately, both holding onto Anakin's promise.

...

Anakin twisted the wrench back and forth, tightening the final piece of his starfighter. He dropped the wrench and wiped the sweat from his forehead. "Done. I think this calls for a test drive. What do you think, Artoo?"

No response. No affirmative whistle. No excited beeps. Nothing.

Anakin turned around and was faced with the blinding light coming from Tatooine's blazing suns. He shielded his eyes with his hand and called out, "Artoo? Where are you, buddy?" He turned back around to see that his starfighter was gone, and he was surrounded by nothing but miles and miles of desert.

Then, as if out of nowhere, a figure appeared in the distance. The figure made its way toward him, but he couldn't see who or what it was. He instinctively placed his hand over his lightsaber. The heating metal against his hand gave him comfort.

Anakin shielded his eyes once again and squinted, trying to make out the appearance of the approaching figure. When he finally saw who it was, his hand dropped to his side, and he immediately drew his lightsaber.

"Why do you draw your weapon, my son? You have no need to defend yourself against me, for I will never harm you." The gentle voice of Shmi Skywalker reached his ears.

As soon as the words left her mouth, his lightsaber was no longer in his hand. It was just...gone. "This is a dream, isn't it?" said Anakin.

"Yes, Ani. Now you must listen to me. You do not know it yet, but you will come across a path. You will have to make a choice, Ani." She stepped forward. "A choice that will either save the universe, or destroy everything you hold dear."

Anakin furrowed his brow. "This is a trick."

"My son, please heed my warning, for it will be the only one. In the near future, you will be tempted. You must not fall into this temptation. For it is the path to the Dark Side."

"The Dark Side? Moth- What are you talking about?" Anakin shook his head, trying to understand.

"Beware the Sith Lord, my son. Do not listen to his poisonous words." The woman once known as Shmi Skywalker began to blow away like sand.

"Wait- Mother!" Anakin reached out.

"Do not trust the man who calls himself your mentor," she whispered, before disappearing.

"Mother! Come back! Mother!" shouted Anakin, then everything went black.