Chapter Twelve

Anakin sat in his speeder outside of Padme's apartment, trying to calm his nerves.

Ahsoka knew.

Frankly, it wasn't that surprising. She was bound to find out sometime, considering the fact that he and Padme had been too obvious around her, and Ahsoka wasn't stupid.

He thought about what she had said. Was Padme really one of the most desirable women in the galaxy? Anakin clenched his jaw at the thought of any man trying to win the affections of his wife.

Padme. He needed to talk to her. He needed her soft, comforting voice.

Anakin stepped out onto the balcony, walked into the living room, and collapsed face-down onto the couch. He grabbed a pillow and groaned into it. Suddenly, he felt a gentle rubbing on his shoulders.

"Anakin, are you alright?"

Anakin sat up. "No, I'm not. Ahsoka and I had an argument."

Padme sat down next to her husband. "Do you want to talk about it?" Her voice was quiet and soft.

Anakin sighed. "Yes, but not right now. Let's talk about something else. Anakin put his arm around his wife's shoulders. "So, are you really one of the most desirable women in the galaxy?"

Padme blushed. "Oh, well, it was just in some silly magazine. It doesn't mean anything. It's rather funny, don't you think?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Anakin, don't you dare. Remember where jealousy got you last time? Besides, this senator is taken." Padme smiled and crawled into Anakin's lap.

"And don't you forget it." Anakin kissed the top of his wife's head. "I love you, you know. And not just because some magazine says I should."

"I love you too, Ani."

♦️

It is time you realized that your guilt does not define you, my son. You define your guilt.

The only love I feel in my heart is haunted by what would happen should I let go.

Then it is not love. It is a prison.

But, I have a wife. You've met her. She's everything to me.

She is not your destiny.

But I love her.

No! She is a poisoner!

What are you?

Your fate!

Anakin lay awake in bed, thinking about the Brother's words. He turned to the side and looked at Padme. She was asleep, oblivious to the thoughts tormenting his mind. How could someone so angelic be a poisoner?

Anakin closed his eyes, and fell back asleep, hoping to dream of Padme.

Boundless as the SeaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara