Chapter Twenty

The wrench fell out of his hand and clattered to the tile floor.

Anakin grabbed his head and squeezed his eyes shut. Every Jedi knew of the Chosen One's legendary power with the Force, and his strong connection to it. But only Anakin knew of the strong connection he had with Padmé through the Force. Sometimes Anakin felt like he and his wife were the same person; it was as if their two hearts beat together as one. Right now was one of those times.

He sensed her fear. He had felt it growing in the back of his mind for the past half hour, and now it was all he could feel. Anakin staggered from the kitchen to the sitting room, danger blaring through his mind like a loud siren.

Suddenly, his eyes snapped open. He...couldn't feel her anymore. The feeling of danger still relented in his mind, but Padmé- her fear, her presence- was gone. He could still feel that she was alive, however. Maybe she had fainted.

Anakin furrowed his brow. It wasn't like Padmé to faint from fear. She was stronger than that.

There was no more time for thinking. He had to get to Padmé, and fast. He darted to the small landing platform overlooking Coruscant at the edge of the apartment.

"Artoo, get out here! We have to get to the Senate building! Padmé's in trouble."

Soon, though not as fast as Anakin would like, they were speeding toward the Senate building, paying no regard to the busy traffic.

'Please, Padmé, please be alright. I'm coming.' He sent her a message through the Force, not knowing if she could hear it or not. Anakin began listing ways he could unleash horrible suffering upon whomever or whatever dared threaten his wife.