Chapter Seventeen

Anakin awakened to the sound of running water coming from the refresher. He groaned and buried his face in the pillow. Last night had gone like every other one for the past few months; less sleep, more nightmares.

Padmé emerged from the refresher wearing an ornate silk robe, running a brush through her curls. Not knowing that her husband was awake, she tiptoed over to her closet and selected a lavender dress. After quietly putting it on, she sat down at her vanity and began styling her hair, but not before stealing a quick glance at her husband through the mirror and smiling. Just as she picked up her hairbrush, it was lifted out of her hands and force-pulled across the room into Anakin's.

Padmé giggled. "Good morning." She walked over to Anakin, leant down, and kissed him softly on the lips.

"Good morning," said Anakin with a gruff, slow drawl in his voice.

When Padmé looked into her husband's piercing blue eyes, she frowned. "Anakin..." she said with a tone not unlike that of a suspicious mother.

"What?"

"Look at you! You look like you haven't slept in days. Tell me what's wrong," said Padmé with a look of concern.

Anakin sighed. He knew that there was know way of hiding from her. She was giving him that "there's something you're not telling me and I need to know it now" look. Thank the Force she didn't have the mind of a Jedi. He just couldn't have her worrying about nightmares or a bounty hunter. "I'm just still getting used to this sleep schedule. I've gotten used to sleeping whenever I can find the time for it. That's all. I'm sure it'll pass in no time, ok?" He stroked her cheek with his flesh thumb and smiled.

Padmé returned his smile with one of her own. "Well, alright. Just...don't wear yourself out. You need to stay well rested." She grabbed her hairbrush and started back toward her vanity.

"Yes ma'am!" He saluted playfully. Padmé just rolled her eyes, but he saw the corners of her mouth slightly lift.

After Padmé finished styling her hair, she smoothed out her dress and sat down next to Anakin, grabbing his hand. "So, when do you have to leave?" She looked at the floor.

Anakin hated these conversations, because they filled the Force around him with sad energy. He also hated thinking about the fact that he was leaving Padmé, again, just to go fight in a war that no one ever seemed to be winning. There was no end in sight. He often felt like the Republic and the Separatists were just pawns in a much bigger game than they realized. Sometimes Anakin wished that he and Padmé could just rule the galaxy themselves.

"I'm not sure. It really depends on how many Jedi are on the battlefield. I heard some of the Masters talking about something big happening in the Outer Rim. I also probably need to be spending more time at the temple, to eliminate suspicion. Besides, my good looks and charming personality are probably distracting you from your work." He smirked.

Padmé smirked right back before fitting her head into the crook of Anakin's neck. "Every day, dear husband. Every day."