Chapter Fourteen

Author's Note: So, if you haven't figured it out by now, I changed things up a bit. Ahsoka never left the Order. She was proven innocent in her trial, and she returned to being Anakin's padawan, though not without hesitation.

Anakin and Padmé were sitting on the couch, going over everything that they would tell Ahsoka. Padmé had a bright smile on her face. She couldn't wait to finally be just the slightest bit free of this life of deception, if only for the sake of one person. She could, however, tell that her husband was very nervous. She put her hand up to cup his jaw.

"Anakin, it will be fine. If what you've told me is true, then she already knows. I know that you think that Ahsoka will be angry, and she probably does feel hurt that we've kept this from her."

Anakin sighed. "Well, I'm glad we're telling her. She's like a sister to me. I just hope-" He was cut off by the sound of knocking on the door.

"I'll be right back." Padmé smiled as she stood up and brushed herself off. Anakin watched as she walked up the steps to the door and disappeared. Not a minute had passed when she returned to the living room, Ahsoka trailing behind her. He sensed his padawan become flustered and embarrassed when she caught sight of her master.

"Senator Amidala, if this is about what I think it is, I believe I owe you a huge apology. I had no right to confront my master about something so personal and untrue, and I promise you that I haven't started any rumors about the two of you." Ahsoka suddenly seemed to have found her feet to be very interesting, for she did not take her eyes off of them.

"Ahsoka, please. There is no need for an apology. In fact, Anakin and I owe you one. There's something we need to tell you. That's why you're here." Padmé's voice was soft and assuring. She motioned to the chair facing the couch, where Anakin was sitting. "Please, sit."

Ahsoka slowly sat down in the expensive and lavish chair, but remained stiff. Her master had yet to speak since she walked in. "I'm listening." she said apprehensively.

Suddenly Anakin leaned forward as Padmé took a seat next to him. "Look, Snips. I'm sorry about yesterday. You know how I tend to get a little...touchy about my past and my personal life. I shouldn't have raised my voice and I...I shouldn't have, well, lied."

Ahsoka's eyes widened. "What?"

"You were right, Ahsoka. You were right about everything." He suddenly took the senator's hand. "Padmé and I are more than just good friends." He looked at Padmé, then back at his padawan. "We're married, Ahsoka, and have been for nearly three years." His voice did not betray his inner anxiety. It was calm, as was his expression. Padmé just smiled and squeezed his hand.

Anakin watched as Ahsoka stayed silent, but was obviously shocked and at a loss for words. "Are you angry?"

Finally, Ahsoka looked up at the two of them, and for the first time, saw how truly happy they were to be in each other's company. This was more than just attachment. This was love.

"I...I'm not angry. Just confused. All my life, I've been taught that attachments lead to the Dark Side. That it causes anger, jealousy, and hate. It influences how you act." Ahsoka seemed to be picking her words carefully. "It clouds your judgment." At her words, Padmé looked away, picturing Anakin's fists mercilessly pounding away at Clovis.

"But..." The Jedi and Senator both looked back at Ahsoka. "I just can't see how what you two have could lead to the Dark Side. Actually," she smirked, "you two look pretty cute together." Anakin rolled his eyes and Padmé blushed. "Does anyone else know besides me?"

"Nope. Just you."

"Not even Master Kenobi?" Ahsoka became serious. How could his former master not know? Surely they could trust him. They were so close.

"No, Ahsoka. You and I both know how loyal he is to the Order. He would report me without a second thought." Anakin sneered.

"Anakin, don't say things like that. Obi Wan is our friend. I think he would understand." Padmé just didn't understand why her husband believed that his former Master could be capable of throwing away such a crucial part of Anakin's life.

Ahsoka had a worried expression on her face. "Master...are you...not loyal to the Order?" She sensed a darkness in him, she always had. She had just chosen to ignore it because there had always been more than enough light within him to overpower it. Now that she knew of his breaking of the Jedi Code, she didn't know what to think.

"Of course I am, and I always will be. I just don't always agree with their perspective on things. I mean, if I did, I wouldn't have Padmé." Anakin held his wife tighter, as if just saying the words would cause her to disappear. "If I didn't have her to return to from battle, I wouldn't try so hard to return. She keeps me going, Ahsoka. If you ask me, the Jedi are wrong about this. Do you understand?"

"I...I'm glad that you make each other happy, Master. And I promise, I won't tell anyone. You can count on me. I don't know what I'd do without SkyGuy around."

Padmé stood up and hugged Ahsoka tightly, tears in her eyes. "Thank you, Ahsoka."