Chapter Nineteen

Anakin woke up in a cold sweat.

Great. More nightmares. Just what I needed.

When he looked to his right, the spot on the bed where Padmé would usually be sleeping in right now was empty. Anakin's first natural reaction was anxiety. Could she have been kidnapped? Were his nightmares becoming reality?

No, he would have sensed any kind of threat. He got up and went to the refresher, where he found a note from Padmé.

Anakin,
I had to go to the Senate early this morning; Bail and I needed to discuss a matter that we are bringing before the Senate today. It's very important that we give the war refugees the proper attention that they've been lacking. I don't know when I'll be back, it could take all day. Why not take some time for yourself to relax? You need it Ani, I worry about you.
All my love,
Padmé.

Just then, Artoo whirred in, making all kinds of noise, considering he was a real morning droid. "Relax?" Anakin scoffed. "How can she expect me to relax when being with her is the only way I can?" Artoo made a series of beeping sounds. "You're right, buddy. Maybe Padmé's got something that needs fixing. Does Threepio know of anything?"

Right on cue, the golden-plated protocol droid walked in. "Ah, Master Ani!"

Anakin smiled. "Morning, Threepio."

"Mistress Padmé has requested that I show you the caf maker. I'm afraid it's quite broken. I could, perhaps, purchase a new one for her-"

"No, that won't be necessary, Threepio." Anakin's smile grew bigger as he contemplated how well his wife knew him. "Show me the caf maker."

♦️

Padmé walked gracefully through the empty halls of the senate building. She could hear the roar of the crowd coming from inside the Senate Arena. There was a debate going on this morning, one that apparently everyone happened to be attending, given the unusually quiet atmosphere of the hallway.

"Bail?" She had gotten a message from him to meet here. The distinguished but warm and friendly senator from Alderaan was never late. Padmé was beginning to feel uneasy. After calling his naming a few more times, receiving nothing but the distant excited yells from the debate as a reply, she decided to contact him via comlink. She reached into her bag, only to find that her comlink wasn't inside; she must have forgotten it at the apartment.

'If he doesn't make an appearance soon, I might just leave and call him from home.' she thought.

After a few more minutes of waiting in vain, Padmé decided to leave. She was heading toward the exit when she remembered that she had some unfinished paperwork in her office. Deciding to take it with her, she started towards her office.

Once inside, she pressed the button for the lights.

Nothing came on.

Sighing with exasperation, she pressed it again, more forcefully this time.

She was still in darkness.

"Why, hello, Senator."

Padmé immediately recognized the menacing voice and drew her blaster. "What do you want? Show yourself!" She heard movement in the darkness and shot towards that direction. The light from the blaster shot gave just enough illumination for her to see the face of Cad Bane before once again leaving them both in darkness.

"Now, now. Let's not get excited..." Suddenly she felt the blaster being plucked from her hands, then she felt two cold, clammy hands grab her by the shoulders.

"Help! Help, someone, please!" Padmé cried out, fearing for her life.

"Aww, I'm afraid no one can hear you, Senator. It's just you and me here." Padmé shuddered under his grasp. "Don't worry, I'm not gonna kill you. We gotta wait for Skywalker to get here." He heard her gasp, and he smiled. "Now, my client says he'll pay me extra if I can really get under Skywalker's skin. And I think I know just how to do that."

Padmé felt the bounty hunter's fist connect with her shaking face, and then she saw nothing but black.