Chapter Four

"Anakin...wake up. Please? For me?" said a soft, gentle voice.

Anakin's eyes slowly opened, and when they saw Padmé's face, he smiled. They were open for about three seconds, then he quickly shut them and pulled the blanket that Padmé had provided over his head and pretended to go back to sleep.

"Anakin! That's not funny! If you don't get up, I'll-"

Anakin cut her off by pulling her on top of him and squeezing her tightly. "I missed you so much, Padmé. I could think of nothing but you for the past three weeks."

"I missed you too. You have no idea how lonely it gets around here without you."

"Well, I guess I'll have to make up for that." And then he kissed her. It was a kiss that proved that they didn't need words to express how much they loved each other. But like all good things, it soon came to an end, much to Anakin's reluctance.

Padmé stood up and smoothed out the fabric of her dress, and it was then that Anakin noticed that she was dressed for work. Why did something always get in the way of the very precious time they could salvage to be together?

"Where are you going?"

Padmé sighed sadly. "The Senate is voting on whether or not to let the Chancellor take over the federation banks. He has too much power, Anakin. I don't like it one bit."

"Well, I trust him. He's been like a mentor to me for years. Maybe all of that power is a good thing. Maybe he can end the war." At the look on Padmé's face, Anakin quickly changed the subject. "So, what am I supposed to do while you're gone? I mean, Threepio's a nice guy, but not much of a conversationalist. At least not the kind of conversation where two people talk."

Padmé suppressed a giggle. "Well, you could go to the Jedi Temple. I'm sure Obi-Wan or Ahsoka could keep you busy."

"Fine. But just promise that you'll be back for dinner, ok?" said Anakin with a look of disappointment.

"Huh. Usually I'm the one asking you to be back for dinner. And almost every time, you aren't. Maybe I should give you a taste of your own medicine, Mr. "Duty Comes First." said Padmé with a playful smirk.

"Uh-huh. I guess that means that you don't want a goodbye kiss, then." He turned to walk away. "Bye, Padmé."

"Oh. Well, goodbye," Padmé said sadly as she started for the door. She hadn't walked two steps when her husband ran over, grabbed her gently by the shoulders, and kissed her.

"Back by dinner?" Anakin asked with hopeful eyes.

"Back by dinner."