Chapter Eight

Ahsoka just didn't get it.

How could Anakin be in such a great mood just yesterday, yet be in such a bad one today? He seemed so distracted yesterday, like he was somewhere else. Now, he's incredibly focused, aggressive even, as if he's trying to distract himself from his distraction.

Ahsoka was starting to suspect something. More specifically, someone. Ahsoka had always sensed emotions within her master that were unfamiliar to her, at least unfamiliar till Lux came. These emotions often became stronger, especially when they were on Coruscant. She had never really taken the time to think about it before, but now the realization hit her like a ton of bricks. Or, at least, if her theory was correct.

She decided that she needed to confirm her suspicions.

Ahsoka searched the Jedi Temple, looking through every corridor, scanning each room, until she finally found Anakin in one of the training rooms, having a go at a punching bag in the corner. When she got closer, she saw that he was sweating profusely, and that the bag was practically destroyed. How long had he been in here?

Ahsoka cleared her throat. "Um, Master?" she spoke apprehensively.

Anakin didn't stop his aggressive "training", but glanced at her for a second. "What?" His tone was the kind that told you that he did not feel like talking at the moment.

"I need to talk to you, and I'd like it if you weren't beating the living Force out of that punching bag at the same time."

Anakin stopped. "This better be good, Ahsoka." He looked at her with hard eyes.

Ahsoka decided to hit him head on. "What do you think of Senator Amidala?"

That did it. She sensed him falter for a split second, then recompose himself. Gotcha.

"Why do you ask?" he said in an unreadable voice.

"Just...curious. I was talking to her yesterday. I forget how nice she is sometimes."

Anakin crossed his arms and gave Ahsoka a weird look. "Senator Amidala is a great asset to the Republic. She's good at what she does. I think she's a good politician because she cares about the people, unlike several people in the Senate."

Hmm. That wasn't good enough to confirm what she was thinking. She needed more proof. "Not her work, Master. What do you think of her?"

Anakin seemed taken aback by this. "I...think that the Senator can be very wise for her age, like you, but sometimes I think she can be a little stubborn. She doesn't look at all the facts and she doesn't always think of the consequences of her actions. But she's a good friend; to you, to me, and to all of the Jedi."

"What about her appearance? Do you think she's pretty?" Ahsoka was getting ahead of herself.

"Ahsoka, I don't have time for this, and frankly, neither do you. You should be training, or, or, studying, or something like that. I have to go." And with that, he walked out of the room, leaving Ahsoka alone.

Maybe I should talk to Obi-Wan. Wait, if what I think is true, and I talk to Obi-Wan about it, Anakin could get reported and kicked out of the Order. I have to know. I need to see him and the Senator interact with each other.

I need to know if my master is breaking the Jedi code.