Chapter Twenty Two

Obi-Wan entered the beautifully decorated office of Senator Amidala. It held many treasures and plants from her home planet, Naboo. As the Jedi Master looked around the office, lit only by the moon and lights coming off of the clone troopers' helmets, he felt terrible anger through the Force.

"Uh, General, you might want to see this."

"What is it, Cody?" Obi-Wan walked over to the clone commander, who was standing over a heap of...something...in the corner of the room. Upon closer examination, Obi-Wan saw that what he was looking at was the body of Cad Bane. Or what was left of it. It was not a sight for the faint of heart.

Oh, Anakin. I believe this calls for a discussion with my former Padawan.

♦️

After showing Bane exactly what his lightsaber was capable of, Anakin ran over to Padmé, who lay motionless on the floor. To his indescribable relief, he found that she was still breathing: barely. After comming for help, he carefully and gently laid her on a small sofa. When several medical clones carried her away on a stretcher, Anakin followed.  An oxygen mask was placed on her increasingly pale face. He rode in the med-carrier by her side, staying silent despite the clones' questioning.

When they got to the Medical Center of Coruscant, Padmé was rushed into who-knows-where, and Anakin was forced to stay behind.

Now he paced across the waiting room, the hand of jointed durasteel inside his black glove clenching so hard that electronic feedback made his shoulder ache.

He barely noticed Obi-Wan coming toward him. His eyes widened at the sight of his former Master. "Obi-Wan."

"I was told what happened, and I knew that you would be here," he said calmly. They both sat down.

"I shouldn't be here, I should be in there!" He jabbed a finger towards the door through which they had taken his wife away from him.

"Anakin, I know that you're worried for Senator Amidala, but I've already spoken with the medical droid. I don't believe that she will be allowed any visitors."

"So? I was there, Obi-Wan! I saw it happen! I...I could have stopped it. Why can't they just let me see her?"

"Anakin, she is in critical condition. Only family members are permitted to see her."

Anakin resisted the aching urge to yell at the top of his lungs. The irony was nearly laughable. Nearly. When they had sworn their marriage to secrecy, he never imagined something like this happening. He looked straight ahead when Obi-Wan began speaking again, this time in a much softer tone.

"You did all you could, Anakin. Had you not been there, I'm afraid it would have been much worse. How we were unable to sense Bane's true target, I'm at a loss. But I'm sure Padmé will be fine."

When Anakin didn't respond, he heard his former Master sigh, then stand up and leave. Anakin silently longed for Obi-Wan to stay and wait with him.

After several hours, the waiting room became empty except for Anakin, leaving him alone with his thoughts.

How did Bane know about us? Did the person who hired him inform him? If so, how did they know? And who were they? If Bane was out to kill Padmé, why did he wait for me to arrive before shooting her?

Shooting her. Bane shot Padmé. Anakin shot up from his seat and punched the wall next to him as hard as he could.

How could this happen to the person who least deserved it?

Anakin remembered Ahsoka telling him about the events that took place when she and Padmé had gone to Alderaan. He remembered not being able to sleep that night, hating himself for not being there when she could have died.

Now he hated himself even more for not being able to stop Bane when he was there. Anakin wanted to just take off in a speeder and go somewhere, anywhere, other than here. But he had to stay strong. For Padmé.

He had to find a way to see her. Perhaps he could use a Jedi mind trick to get into her room. Maybe he could just sneak in there.

Anakin just knew one thing: Nothing was going to keep him from his wife.