Chapter Twenty Nine

All was quiet.

Not a single sound could be heard even by the most sensitive ears. The absence of noise almost became too much to bear, until dark, sinister cackling broke the silence. The laughter made silence seem like a far better option. It became louder and louder, and then suddenly ceased.

Then, slowly, a figure came into view. Cloaked in heavy black robes with a hideously unrecognizable face, they stood over another kneeling figure, who remained distorted. The cloaked man spoke to the other in a voice that had the ability to send chills down any spine.

"The Force is strong with you. A powerful Sith you will become. Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth. . .Vader."

"Thank you, my Master," replied the kneeled figure. His voice was heartbreakingly familiar.

The cloaked figure spoke of the betrayal of the Jedi, and ordered the man called Vader to eliminate them. "Do what must be done, Lord Vader. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough with the dark side to save Padmé." There was no question of Lord Vader's true identity now.

Suddenly, the cloaked figure looked up. "Ah, it appears we have an intruder." Vader stood up. "Kill them, my new apprentice."

The man once known as Anakin Skywalker's yellow eyes flashed as he ignited his lightsaber.

It was at that moment that Ahsoka awoke.

"Master!"

...

Obi-Wan lay awake in bed, on his back staring up at the ceiling. His chest moved up and down as he took deep breaths. He got very little sleep since Mandalore.

Loud, fast knocking suddenly filled his ears. He got up and slowly walked to the door. He pressed the button and the door slid up to reveal a very disheveled Ahsoka. Her eyes were wide with fear, something Obi-Wan rarely saw on her.

"Master Kenobi." Ahsoka sniffed. "I have to talk to you."

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow. "Padawan, do you realize how late it is?"

"This can't wait until morning, Master." She looked up at him with pleading eyes.

Obi-Wan sighed and ran a hand over his face. He moved aside and motioned toward the inside of his room. Ahsoka nodded in thanks and walked into the room. She slowly sat down on the small bed and stared at the floor. Obi-Wan sat down beside her and waited for her to speak. He put his hand on her shoulder, and then something happened that he never would have expected.

Ahsoka began to cry.

It wasn't loud or dramatic. She sat there in silence as tears fell down her cheeks.
Obi-Wan couldn't think of anything to say or do. Ahsoka was Anakin's Padawan, not his. Anakin should be here to comfort her, not him. Where was Anakin? Why did Ahsoka come to him and not her Master? Obi-Wan immediately pushed that aside. That didn't matter right now. What mattered was that there was a crying girl next to him who had obviously just gone through something very traumatic. Obi-Wan hesitantly put his arm around her shoulders and simply gave her time to gather her thoughts. Finally Ahsoka took a deep breath and spoke.

"You know that Sith Lord the Jedi have been searching for?" she said, still looking at the floor.

Obi-Wan furrowed his brow. "Yes."

"And you know how Dooku is supposedly this Sith Lord's apprentice?"

"Yes. Ahsoka, what is going on? Why are you in my room, in the middle of the night, crying and talking about Sith Lords?"

Now Ahsoka looked him in the eye. "Dooku is going to be replaced."

"Ahsoka, what-"

"And I know who his replacement is."

The only response she got was the raise of one eyebrow.