Chapter Twenty Seven

Anakin walked into Padmé's apartment to find that all of the lights were off. Threepio was nowhere in sight; he had probably turned himself off for the night.

He and Obi-Wan must have gotten back later than they thought. He had hoped to surprise Padmé, for she didn't know that he was on Coruscant. It would just have to wait until morning.

He crept into the bedroom, where his wife lay fast asleep on the left side of the bed. Silently but awkwardly, Anakin took off his robes and tunic and replaced them with his one simple pair of sleep pants that he kept in Padmé's bottom drawer. He crawled into the bed, cringing at the noise of the mattress springs straining under his weight. He looked over, and sighed with relief when he saw that she was still asleep.

Anakin looked at her sleeping form and smiled. He couldn't see her face, for her back was turned. But he knew exactly what she looked like, for he pictured her face in his mind every day that they were apart. That is, when Obi-Wan wasn't around. Anakin smirked. She's in for quite the pleasant surprise in the morning.

Quietly and gently, he leaned over and kissed her soft cheek. Then he positioned himself right behind her, giving her his warmth. He then proceeded to place his arms around her small torso, giving a gentle squeeze.

It was then that Padmé whimpered in pain.

Anakin quickly recoiled, horrified at the thought that he had caused her pain. He lifted up the sheet and saw that she still had bandages wrapped around her chest.

Kriff.

How could he be so ignorant? Of course she was still healing; the blaster bolt had gone straight through her! She had to have an emergency operation! All because of his foolishness. He had fallen right into Bane's trap. And now he had hurt her with his own hands. Accidentally, of course, but that didn't change the way he felt about it.

Anakin got out of bed and went into the 'fresher. He threw cold water on his face and looked at himself in the mirror. He immediately looked back down, for he could no longer stand the sight of his own reflection.

I couldn't protect my mother from the sand people,  I couldn't protect Ahsoka from the Council, and I couldn't protect Padmé from a kriffing blaster. And yet people say I'm a hero.

More and more, Anakin would find himself feeling held back by Obi-Wan and the Council. He believed that if he had more power, he could have saved the people he loved most.

But it wasn't too late.