Chapter Nine

Ahsoka followed Anakin, but tried to be quiet, so she wouldn't annoy him and he wouldn't send her away. They walked through the sunlit hallways of the temple, passing several different training rooms and meditation rooms.

"Master, where are you going?"

"I'm going to the Senate building to talk to the Chancellor." Anakin still had a very serious look on his face.

"Can I ask why?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but...the Chancellor is like a mentor to me, and I could use his guidance right now."

"What about Master Keno-"

"No, Ahsoka. This is something that Obi-Wan wouldn't understand. Frankly, neither would the Chancellor, but I just can't talk to Obi-Wan about this." Anakin looked away.

"Well, maybe I could come with you. Not to see the Chancellor, but I would like to see some friends. Yes, I could talk to Senator Chuchi...Senator Amidala."

There it was again. At every mention of the Senator's name, Ahsoka could sense Anakin falter, but only for a second.

"I don't know, Ahsoka. The senators are probably very busy with their work right now."

"So is the Chancellor." she replied.

"...Good point, Snips. Yeah, I guess you could tag along." Anakin would never tell Ahsoka this, but he could really use her company right now.

"Great! Let's go!" Now was Ahsoka's chance to see Anakin and Padmé interact with one another, so that she could further prove her theory. She just needed to find a way to get Anakin to run into the senator.

♦️

As she and her master walked through the Senate building, Ahsoka looked left and right for Senator Amidala. Finally, she spotted her, wearing a lovely Nubian-style dress, covered in different shades of red and orange. Her hair was pulled back into a tight bun behind her head, minus two strands of hair that framed her face. If that didn't get Anakin's attention, then she had to be wrong.

However, Senator Amidala was all the way at the end of the hall, and walking further away. Anakin, not seeing Padmé, started to turn right, but was immediately stopped by Ahsoka, who started pulling him further down the hallway.

"Ahsoka, cut it out. What are you, five?"

"It's just that, I don't know my way around as well as you do, and I don't want to get lost on the way to Senator Chuchi's office." Ahsoka was actually very good at finding her way around, but she couldn't think of another excuse.

Not remembering this particular talent of hers, Anakin exhaled dramatically and followed Ahsoka.

Ahsoka knew where Senator Chuchi's office was, and they were nowhere near it. But Anakin didn't need to know that. She started toward the direction that Padmé went, trying to go quickly without raising suspicion. They rounded the corner of the hallway, and were met with a new hallway crowded with politicians.

Ahsoka started to panic, for she didn't see Senator Amidala. When she looked behind her, Anakin was no longer there. Great. Just then, she felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. She turned around and, to her relief, saw the smiling face of Padmé Amidala.

"Ahsoka, it's wonderful to see you here. What brings you to the Senate Building?" Padmé led her to a more secluded area.

"Um, I was bored at the temple, and so I decided to come and see some friends. Is that a new dress?" Ahsoka quickly changed the subject.

"Oh, well, yes it is." Padmé looked down at the soft, velvety fabric covered in swirling and intricate patterns and smiled. "My mother sent it to me. I must say, she has excellent taste." She looked at Ahsoka. "I need to get you into a dress sometime, Ahsoka. I'm sure you'd look just exquisite."

Ahsoka smirked. "Thanks, but I'm not sure I could fight very well in a dress. I think I'll stick to what I have. But you look great." said Ahsoka sincerely.

"Thank you." said Padmé with a giggle. "Don't ever change, Ahsoka." Padmé smiled.

It was then that Ahsoka sensed her Master approaching. This was it, she would be able see the way that the Jedi and the senator acted around each other with different eyes.