Chapter 3

Which?

I open my mouth not knowing what to say.

Is Steve Rogers insane or what?

Really, it was weird that he was so perfect, there had to be some flaw!

- Hi? Is this a marriage proposal? If so, it wasn't romantic at all!

“I know this sounds reckless, but I need to keep up this charade while they're in town.

— No… no way!

Okay, I was crazy about Steve Rogers and had probably had sex with him yesterday, even though I couldn't remember a thing, so accepting being his fake bride to deceive his family was a little too much!

- Please. It will only be while you are here. Just pretend you're my fiancée and then you're free.

"You can't make me!"

- Of course I can.

- Of course not!

“I'm your boss.

I widen my eyes, horrified.

- Are you serious? Aren't you afraid I'll sue you for harassment or something?

"You're not being reasonable." Last night, Erin York, your supervisor, said she was going to fire you on Monday. Looks like she didn't like having her dress ruined by champagne.

- She said?!

'Of course I had no idea who her assistant was. And I wasn't even going to find her unconscious in my car when I got home.

"Oh my God, so it was your car I got in?"

"I still wonder what you intended."

I blush with embarrassment.

- I was drunk.

'That I noticed.

“And I wanted to leave and there was this annoying guy after me. I opened the first door I found and entered. I didn't know it was your car.

“I found your name by looking at your ID and, as it looked so bad, I just brought you home and…

"Wait... So that's all it happened?" I ask, surprised.

I don't even know if I feel relieved or disappointed. So I hadn't seduced him, as I imagined.

At the same time, what was the point of sleeping with Steve and not remembering anything?

"What did you imagine had happened?" He raises an eyebrow, waiting for my answer.

I go red with embarrassment.

— I thought we had… had…

— Fuck? "He looks horrified now." Like I said he had sex with a pig, like in that crazy episode of Black Mirror.

- Why not? It was very likely! I retort, offended.

"In what world would such a thing be likely?"

- Why would not it be?

“First, I've never seen you before.

"I work for you, as you've never seen me?" "Now I'm more than offended." I think I'm even a little hurt.

— I manage a company with hundreds of employees, I don't know everyone! he replies, exasperated. "Second, I don't take advantage of drunk, unconscious women."

"What if I was awake?" 'I know I'm pushing Steve's patience, I couldn't resist.

And as I predicted, he frowns, annoyed.