Chapter 63

“Mrs. Rogers, I think we're done. As I explained, everything is going great with your pregnancy. It accords with what should be in the twentieth week. — The doctor ends the ultrasound examination.

— Is it possible to know the sex now? Steve asks and I slap him.

“Hey, we don't want to know!

— Why did you hit me?

“If we find out the sex of the baby, it will spoil the surprise.

“I don't see why not find out sooner. You've been talking about shopping, decorating a room and everything else, it might be easier to choose a color palette, for example.

“This color palette thing is so old, Steve! We are modern parents! We can make the room any color we want without following a pre-established archaic model.

"Now are you going to tell me you're going to raise our baby genderless?"

- Could be! I would be a pioneer! I can already see twenty years from now, a statue being erected in my honor in front of St. Mary!

“Don't exaggerate, Natasha. So you really don't want to know the sex of our baby? Aren't you even a little curious?

Yes, he's right about that, I'm really curious. But I will wait.

I stare at my obstetrician, Dr Davis.

I really liked the doctor I had been seeing since I found out I was pregnant. Thank God Steve was rich and we had excellent health insurance that covered a private prenatal care, so I could get an ultrasound every month and see an obstetrician. Here in England, health plans are very expensive and practically everyone has their babies through the public system, where women are accompanied by a midwife, a kind of obstetric nurse or midwife if you prefer to call it, who even performs the deliveries, all normal. for the most part, and the doctor is only called if there is a problem with the mother or baby.

This brings me to another question.

— In fact, the most important thing here is to know if we can schedule the cesarean.

The doctor removes his glasses, staring at me as he did every time I brought up this subject.

“Mrs. Rogers, we have already explained that your delivery will be normal. Her pregnancy is proceeding without any problems. And if everything continues like this, your baby will be born normally, without the need for surgery.

“But that's not fair! I don't want to be suffering like that for hours! It's inhumane!

“Natasha, listen to the doctor…” Steve touches my hand.

— Ah, it's easy for you to say, it's not through your vagina that the baby will have to pass! I face the doctor again. “Look, I know everyone prefers normal, but I think I have the right to choose. We are in a free country and this is not the public health system! My husband can even pay! Tell him, Steve! Say you're rich!

Steve rolls his eyes.

"Are we done here yet?"

“Yes, we're done. You can go now.

“Then let's go, Natasha. The baby is still over four months away, so we have time to discuss these details later. And we need to go now, otherwise we'll be late for dinner at your mother's.

"I need to go to the bathroom first!" — The growing baby made the uterus press on my bladder and I kept going to the bathroom.

"Okay, I'll wait for you in the car."

When I go to the bathroom and empty my bladder, I take the opportunity to answer some messages that Florence, Steve's sister-in-law, had left. She was dying to come to London and for us to shop for the baby.