Chapter 35

Yes, Erin York is blackmailing me.

It all started when I installed her in the elegant clinic in London, assuring her that the expenses would be on me.

'Of course they will!' Your fiancée pushed me down the stairs and I believe that characterizes an accident at work!

I had rolled my eyes, already tired of all that litany she'd been screaming from the four winds since the accident. Erin was convinced that Natasha was some sort of bad afternoon soap villain who pushes bosses down the stairs.

Not that I believed it. Natasha was somewhat unbalanced, given to exaggerating her wild stories and quite prone to getting into trouble and accidents, but boss killer didn't fit her personality.

“I'm sure it was an accident, Erin,” I replied calmly. “And no, it wasn't an accident at work, as I wasn't at my place on business. I still feel responsible, so don't worry about anything. She'll be fine here until she recovers and gets back to work at DBS.

- That simple? Don't you see what Natasha's intention was?

Here we go.

“Erin, I think she's taken too many painkillers and is delusional.

- I'm not! And you're defending that freeloading nymphet because you're sleeping with her!

Okay, that was too much.

“Erin, you're my employee and you're debilitated, so I'll take your offenses to Natasha. But I wish she would stop. Now! I won't allow you to talk like that.

- Sure! It was to be expected! I'm just not going to stand here with my arms crossed, or rather with my legs in casts, waiting for Natasha Romanoff to take my place.

“No one will take her place, Erin…” I tried to talk her out of those stalking thoughts, but she was beyond reason.

"You're going to fire her!"

- What?

“You have to fire Natasha Romanoff! Or I'll tell everyone they're screwing around DBS hallways like rabbits!

“We're not screwing around in the hallways like rabbits. “Well, not in the hallways, but in my office… Anyway, that was none of Erin's business. “What you're talking about is absurd. Me and Natasha Romanoff are engaged. It has nothing to do with her work at DBS. That's why we're acting with discretion, I don't want everyone talking.

"I'm sure you're quite worried about your pretty ass, Mr Rogers!" Erin spat angrily. — And with that nymphet! Of course they would comment! They would gossip for a whole year and you know damn well it wouldn't be the worst! If it got to shareholders' ears, you'd be in deep trouble!

Okay, she had a point.

And that worried me greatly.

That's exactly why I had a strict rule not to get involved with female employees. I took my position very seriously. My career very seriously.

Then came Natasha Romanoff and turned everything upside down.

Now the seemingly crazy Erin York was exposing my worst fears.

"Oh, you're worried, aren't you?" What did you think? That he was going to fuck Natasha around the corner for the rest of his life and no one would find out? Well I found out! And I won't keep my mouth shut! However, I can be nice to you. Fire Natasha and I won't say anything.

And that's how Erin made it very clear that she was blackmailing me. And I didn't doubt for a minute that she would carry out her threat. And if that shit got to shareholders, my position at DBS would be seriously compromised.