Chapter Two

Edited

Ever since I was little, my parents always taught me to be myself and to not compare myself to others. But as I looked through Kathy Morris's Instagram,(the most popular girl in school) my self-esteem dropped. 

I sighed and tucked my hair under my ear. "If only I could be her," I said, looking at myself in the mirror, remarking all the acne on my face. 

I headed downstairs and grabbed a protein bar from the cabinets. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. "Who is it?!" I yelled, munching on the bar. I looked through the tiny peephole to see that it was my boy-best-friend. I smiled, just the person I was wanting to see. Eagerly, I opened the door. 

"Hey, stranger!" I squealed, wrapping my arms around his neck, hugging him. 

He wrapped his arms around my torso."Gabby! Oh my goodness, I've missed you!" He squeezed me tightly. 

"Ugh, you left me to die of boredom this summer! How could you?" I joked, letting him inside the house.

Lucas has been best friends way before I met Olivia. My mom and his mom went to college together and ever since, Lucas and I have been practically siblings. In kindergarten through 5th grade, we had the same teachers, and in middle school, we almost had the same classes together. Such a coincidence. 

Lucas laughed as he sunk down on the couch and put his feet up. I sat right next to him, handing Lucas a water bottle. "I was busy-" 

"-having fun?" I finished. He nodded and went over to turn on the TV. I playfully shoved him. 

"Oh, I almost forgot," Lucas said, taking a bright red box out of his pocket. "This is for you m'lady." He handed the box to me. 

"Aww, you shouldn't have." I opened the box to find a December birthstone necklace. I gasped and quickly picked it up like someone was going to take it from me. "It's perfect," I said softly, admiring the shine it had when the light from the sun was on it. 

Lucas proudly nodded and helped me put it on. "You excited for freshmen year?" He asked while I lifted up my hair. Even though he couldn't see, I frowned. "No."

He stopped and made me look at him in the eyes. "Please don't tell me it's from-"

"-insecurities? Yep." I finished, again, sighing at the last word. 

He looked disappointed. "I thought you said you were going to see a therapist this summer?"

"I-I was! But my parents said I didn't need one and that it was just a waste of money." I looked down at my feet. 

He creased his eyebrows. "Did you even tell them?"

"No!" I said, tears filling my eyes. "I didn't! They wouldn't understand!" Usually, I'd feel embarrassed crying in front of someone, but this time, I didn't feel it at all.

"Hey, hey, hey," he said, offering me a hug and I immediately fell into his arms. "It's okay," he said softly, playing with my hair. "Everything is going to be okay. We'll figure it out."