Chapter Four

Edited 

"Let's start with attendance," Ms. Czeslaw said, pushing her black-rimmed glasses up her nose. "When I call your name, please say 'present'." 

Everyone nodded, but my eyes were still on that boy. He looked back at me again and this time, my face felt hot. 

Shoot, I'm blushing and he saw it! And my acne! Ugh, I probably look so gross. I should have used that face wash this morning...

"Gabby Andersons?"

My face shot up to Ms. Czeslaw's by the sound of my name. It took me a second to realize that it was attendance. "He-I mean present," I quickly said, and I looked down at my paper. 

"Alexander Allen?"

"Present."

"Olive Base?"

"Present."

The names kept going until...

"William Campbell?"

William was in this class?!

"Present, Ms. Czeslaw."

I turned around by the sound of his voice and realized he was right behind me. He flashed a friendly smile and I quickly panicked, putting my hood up hoping he wouldn't see my blushed-up face. 

"Liam Collins?" 

"Present."

I glanced over at the boy. It was him, the cute boy with puffy/curly light blonde hair! Liam, huh? Interesting...

I curled my lips together and smiled to myself. 

***

"So, how are our classes so far?" Olivia asked as she bit into her mac n cheese. She'd always be busy hanging out with her other friends, but Olivia always made special time with me. 

"You find any cute boys?" Jayden asked playfully nudging me. 

"Well..." I started. 

"Hey, Gab! What's up?" Lucas said, coming up to us. 

"Lucas! Hey!" I said.

"We were just talking ab-" Olivia began.

"-about how amazing the school lunch is!" I said, laughing nervously and making a look at Olivia. 

"Oh, cool, I guess," Lucas shrugged. We stood there in awkward silence for 30 seconds. "Okay, I'ma get going. My friends and I are waiting for me."

I smiled forcefully again and waved. I sat back down and sighed with relief. 

"What was that?" Jayden asked, eyebrows furrowed. 

"Yeah, you're smile was so hideous. That's certainly not you, especially around Lucas," Olivia added. 

I made a mocking face towards her. "Look, okay, I can't have Lucas knowing I like someone!" I replied, glancing back and forth at Olivia and Jayden. 

"Why not?" Olivia asked.

"Because, the evening of the last day of 8th grade, I overheard Lucas on the phone with his 'dudes' and, I heard him say that he was soon going to ask me to be his girlfriend!" The girls gasped and I played with my food with my fork. 

Their excitement turned into confusion.

"Aren't you delighted?" Olivia asked. 

"No! I'm scared!" I replied looking up at her. 

"Why?" Jayden asked. "I thought you always wanted to fit in and have a boyfriend. You got you're wish."

"'Cause..." I looked back down at my food, "I'm going to say no."

A/N: I know these chapters are so short but longer chapters will come soon! Thanks for reading!