Chapter Eleven

Edited

A week later...

I sat on the couch scrolling through Youtube on the TV. When I couldn't find anything interesting to watch, I decided to rehearse what I was going to say to him on Monday. (An apology)

"Okay," I said, talking to myself. "All you have to do is apologize to Lucas. Rehearsing..." I took a deep breath in. "Lucas-I'm-sorry-for-how-I-treated-you-you-are-an-amazing-best-friend-I-love-you-so-so-much-thank-you-for-helping-me-get-through-tough-times-I-said-something-so-wrong-and-I-hope-you-could-forgive-me." I exhaled deeply. Meh, I could do better...

Suddenly, I receive a phone call from the hospital. "Hello?" I said politely. 

"Hi, this is Lauren calling from West Hills Hospital. Is this Gabby Andreson?" said the speaker on the other line. 

I nodded but remembered that she couldn't see me. "Yes, this is she. Can I help you?"

"We are calling you to inform you that your friend, Lucas Sullivan, has gotten in a car crash and is currently in a coma."

I gasped and tears started filling my eyes. 

"We have tried multiple times to contact his family but we couldn't reach them. You were our only hope, could you try to come over to the hospital?"

"Yes! I'm coming right now," I cried. I hung up then realized that I didn't have a driver's license and both of my parents were at work. So, I went to the only person I could think of, Liam. 

I dialed his number. "Pick up, pick up, pick up," I said anxiously.

"Hey, Gabby, what's up?" Liam said. 

"Liam, there is no time to talk," I cried, "I need you to drive me to West Hill's hospital right now!" 

"Gabby are you okay? I'm heading out the door."

"This is a life or death matter, Liam. I need you to come, please!" 

"I'll be there in five minutes with my motorcycle!" Liam hung up and I sighed, running out the door. 

In 3 minutes, Liam was already at my house with his bright red motorcycle. 

"Get in!" Liam handed me a helmet and I immediately put it on. I held on to his waist as he drove through the streets. Finally, we arrived. 

"I'll wait out here," he exclaimed. 

I nodded and rushed inside the hospital. After reaching the front office, the lady said I needed to be close with the person. Not just friends. 

"Listen, okay, I've been best friends with him since birth. I know everything about him-I'm family!" 

The lady sighed and typed something on her computer. She was chewing her gum loudly which made it ten times more annoying than she already was. 

"Sorry, still can't," she said, shrugging and pouting her lips. 

"Lady," I said, clenching my teeth. "Do you want my best friend to die without me seeing him?" I teared up at the thought. 

She grumbled. "Fine. Wear this." She handed me a visitor badge and I quickly made it to Lucas's room. 

"Lucas!" I yelled, entering the room. He stood straight and didn't move. 

"What happened?" I asked, grabbing his hands. I felt my heart thumping loudly. 

"According to police," the nurse said, "Lucas was driving back from the downtown diner on Friday of last week, at 7:30 pm..." she continued to talk.