Chapter Thirteen

On the first day of summer, I stayed home all morning and watched Youtube in my pajamas. 

I receive a video call from Liam. "Liam, hi!" I said, angling my phone so he could see my face. 

"Hey, Gabby! How are you?" Liam asked. He was still in bed, shirtless, ehm...

His hair was disheveled and his eyes looked so lovely as they reflected from the sunlight. 

"I'm doing okay. How about you? What's going on?" I placed the bowl of chips on the coffee table and used my fingers to brush out my hair. 

"My mom invited you and your family to dinner tonight. She wanted me to let you know," he said.

"Oh, that's cool. I'll tell my parents about it," I assured. 

He smiled cutely and nodded. It was silent for a few seconds then Liam started to talk again. 

"I forgot to mention, Ryan wants to meet you ever since I told him about you. Do you think we could go out for ice cream?"

I smiled joyfully and nodded. "I'd love to meet Ryan!" 

"Okay, great! See you at 11!"

We said bye and hung up. I checked the time on my phone; 10:43. Whoops. I better start to get ready.

At 11:05 I reached Ben and Jerry's Ice cream shop and greeted Liam and Ryan. 

"Gabby!" Ryan said in the most adorable voice ever. He had hair just like Liam, but a little lighter, and brighter blue eyes. 

He hugged my legs and when he let go, I bent down to his level. 

"You're so cute!" I said, lightly tickling his cheeks. 

He giggled and Liam showed up behind him. "You like mint chocolate chip?" Liam asked. 

I looked up at him and nodded. "It's my favorite."

We ate our ice creams and walked over to the park nearby. Since I finished my ice cream earlier, I pushed Ryan on the swings. 

"Want to come to my hockey game tomorrow?" Liam asked, taking a bite of his mango ice cream. 

"It's summer. You play this season?" I asked. 

"Higher! Higher!" Ryan hollered. And so, I did. 

Liam shrugged. "The seasons are weird. I got a call and it was my coach asking me if I wanted to play, so I agreed. Want to come?" 

"Yeah, I'm down," I replied. 

"Oh and don't forget to ask your parents about the dinner," Liam reminded me. 

"I already told them about it. They said they'd love to come."

"So it's a yes?" Liam said, getting excited. 

I smiled and nodded. 

"Is daddy going to be there?" Ryan chimed in as he got off the swing. 

I stayed quiet. Liam bent down to Ryan. 

"No, dad is on a very important business trip. He won't come back in another two months," Liam lied. 

I tried not to get teary but it was hard. 

Ryan pouted. "But I've never got to see him before. You never let me! It's not fair!" 

I could tell Liam was close to crying but he didn't. "No, Ryan. It's not that...you'll understand when you're older." Liam's voice cracked on the 'understand' part. 

I let one tear slide down my eye then I quickly wiped it away. 

Ryan started feeling a little better. His pout faded into a smile. "Okay!" He ran off to play on the slides. 

Liam got up and sighed. 

I titled my head. "I'm so sorry, Liam." I hugged him. 

"It's fine," Liam said, going back to normal. "We should go watch Ryan so he doesn't get hurt."

I followed Liam and made a mental note: Do not mention his dad too much, especially in front of Ryan.