Chapter Eight

Edited

I pushed Liam away from me and took a deep breath. "Mom and Dad are going to kill me.." I muttered. 

"N-no t-they won't-t-t," Liam slurred. 

I put my hands on my hips. "Oh, what do you know?"

Right then, Liam collapsed into my hands. He had passed out. I quickly made it upstairs with him to put him to bed. I found some water so I tried delicately pouring some in his mouth for him, to wash some of the alcohol away. 

I walked out of the room and shut the door. 

"Lucas!" I said, bumping into him. "Hi!" I tried blocking his way to get into the room. 

"Hi, Gab. I'm just going to use the bathroom so excuse me." He tried cutting through me but I stopped him.

"This isn't the bathroom," I said, nervously. 

"Oh, okay," Lucas was walking away and I sighed with relief. "Wait...what were you doing in there?"   

"Getting a drink!" I said, making that up on the spot. 

He nodded and continued down the hall. Suddenly, he paused and turn around to look at me. 

"Meet me at the neighborhood park at 12 tomorrow, okay?" Lucas said.

I nodded in confusion then we went our separate ways. 

The flashback of Liam and I kissing went through my head. "Nobody could know," I told myself. "Nobody. Liam doesn't like me anyway, he was drunk, just drunk. His words weren't true."

With that, I went back to the party.

*** 

It was 11:45 am and I walked over to our neighborhood park to meet Lucas. 

I found Lucas on the swings, he was on his phone. But, when he saw me, Lucas got up from the swing and greeted me. 

"Hey!" I said warmingly.

"Hi, Gabby!" He said. 

I walked into his arms and gave him a warm hug. 

"How are you?" I asked, sitting down in the swing next to him.

"I'm doing alright," he replied casually.

I smiled in response. 

He turned his body posture to me. 

"Gabby," he said as his eyes sparkled, "I need to tell you something...important."

"I'm all ears," I replied.

"Ever since we were little, we were so close, best friends..."

I nodded again.

"Now, you're in high school and so am I. I want to take our relationship further..."

I started to panic...was Lucas about to ask me to be his girlfriend?! I made sure to keep a smile on my face. As if nothing else could go wrong, the flashback of Liam and I kissing played AGAIN in my head. 

Lucas got down on one knee and took out a necklace with my initials on it. 

"Gabby, will you be my girlfriend?" Lucas concluded.

I was lost in my head for a few seconds. I got up from the swing and my eyes started to tear up. "I'm sorry, Lucas. I can't."

And with that, I took off and ran away home, leaving Lucas standing there, alone.

A/N: Oof...that's tough. Ever been rejected before? Anyway, continue reading to see what happens next!