Chapter Ten

Edited

1 week later

"Man, Lucas got dumped," Olivia said as I took my English books out from my locker. 

"I know! I feel so bad," I said, shutting the locker.  

Suddenly, we bumped into Liam. 

"Hey, ladies," he said. Liam's eyebrows furrowed as he glanced at me.

"I have to go," Olivia lied. Clearly, she just wanted me to be alone with Liam. 

I hugged my books tightly as if someone was going to take them from me. 

"Look, Gab..." Gab?! I instantly blushed. No one had ever called me that. "I just want to say I'm sorry for what happened last week. I know, I know, I should have addressed it earlier than today."

"It's fine," I said, staring at my black converse. 

"At least on the bright side, your parents didn't kill you," Liam joked.

I chuckled and looked up at him. 

"Was it your first..." Liam began,  as he ran his fingers through his hair. 

I nodded slowly. 

"I'm really sorry," he said, actually feeling guilty.

I put my hand on his chest. "It's okay, really." 

Liam cracked a small smile. Just then, the bell rang. We stood there in silence, looking right at each other's eyes. I quickly moved my hand away from his chest and chuckled nervously. 

"I should go," I said, smiling at him. 

"Alright. Oh- I forgot!"

I paused and turned back. "Yes?"

"D-do you maybe want to go to the diner after school?" He stuttered. It was his turn to look like a tomato. 

"Sure," I said, nodding. 

Liam smiled excitedly again. "Okay, see you later!" 

"Bye!"

----------

At exactly 5 pm, I arrived at the downtown diner. I saw Liam through the windows of the diner. I hope he wasn't waiting too long for me.

"Hey!" Liam greeted me. We hugged then took a seat at one of the tables. "As always, you look beautiful."

"Thank you!" I said.

I was wearing a maroon dress that reached just above my knees, and crystal heals. I brushed out the hair and decided to wear a little concealer and mascara, and of course, lip gloss. 

We ordered our food a little while later. While waiting, Liam and I talked about life and family. Turns out he has a little brother, Ryan, whose 6-years-old. He showed me a picture of him along with his Mom.

"My dad left us right when Ryan was born," he explained. 

"I'm so sorry, Liam," I said. 

"Don't be," Liam said, "he was a jerk anyway." 

"I'm sorry," I repeated. 

"He treated my mom like nothing. And, always abused her. He drank every day, and once even hurt me too. When mom was pregnant with Ryan, she lied saying it was weight gain, that's how stupid my dad was. Anyways, when mom had Ryan, Dad left and I never saw him ever again-and I surely don't plan to." 

"Does Ryan know about all this?" I asked, interested in the conversation. 

"No, Mom and I think that it's better to tell him in the future," Liam replied. 

I nodded.

He clapped his hands together and sighed. "Enough about me, what about you? What's your life like?"

I started telling Liam everything about my life. Finally, our food came and Liam seemed to notice the big band-aid on my wrist. 

"What's that?" He said a mouthful of food. 

I scoffed nervously. "This thing?" There was no way I was going to tell Liam about my breakdown. "I-uh cut my wrist when I was trying to cut a pomegranate. It was my first time, and, well, I cut myself."

Liam raised my eyebrows. "Ouch. You good?" 

I nodded and looked down at my food.

***

We finished eating and Liam gave me a ride home. 

"Thanks for a great night," I said to him grinning.

He smiled too and nodded. "No, thank you, for being amazing."

I smiled bigger in response and got out of the car. 

"Bye!" I said walking up the front stoop. 

He waved. 

And that's how I spent my first date ever, with Liam Collins.