Chapter 1

Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.
                                 —Antony Brandt

Birds chattered with excitement from the almond tree that stood regally by the bay window. 

A bed creaked and a groan sounded. An eye peeled open; it spied the rays of the morning sun that cast glowing shadows on the cream-colored curtains.

Another day had begun for Paloma Jaramillo. 

A muffled sigh sounded and the occupant of the bed rolled over and stared at the brown beams on the ceiling. She dragged herself into a sitting position. Liquid filled her eyes as she blinked away the sleep from her eyes. 

With hands folded, her eyes closed and her head bowed in prayer.

Some minutes later, she flung off the blanket from her body and swung her feet to the side, and rose.  Pink fluffy slippers covered her feet as she padded into the bathroom to prepare for the day. 

The floorboards squeaked several minutes later as Paloma climbed down the flight of wooden steps. The savory scent of bacon greeted her as she neared the kitchen.

The back of her older sister welcomed her. 

"Morning, Iris!" She chirped as she stepped further into the kitchen. 

Her sister's head bobbled in acknowledgment. "Morning."

"Where are Papa and the boys?" Paloma crossed over and opened one of the amber wooden cabinets. She pulled out one teacup and set it on the oak kitchen table. 

"Probably chopping wood for the fireplace," Iris said and then shook her head. "You know it would be so nice if Dad agrees to install one of those electric fireplaces." 

"Yeah, true. But you know, doing that will only increase the already exorbitant tax we have to pay." Paloma watched the water gush into the kettle. 

"Yeah, I guess you are right," Iris said with resignation brimming in her voice.  "The taxes are increasing faster than the weather changes." 

"That's sadly true!" Paloma poured steaming water into the porcelain white teacup. "Anyway, where is Alexa?"

"Still sleeping like a log." 

The scent of toasted bread filled the room and the smell of herbal tea accompanied it. The fragrance of scrambled eggs slipped into the myriad of aromas.

Paloma chuckled. Her mind flew to her younger sister who could sleep through anything and everything. 

"When I finish helping Mamá get ready, I will go wake her up." 

Her sister hummed an "okay"  in response. 

A comfortable silence filled the space as each woman concentrated on their respective task. 

"I will go give this to Mamà," Paloma said a few minutes later. Her thick Mexican accent was pronounced on the word "mama". She carried a tray with a steaming cup of tea and ambled out.

While traversing, her mind traveled to her mother who after an accident last Fall was rendered paralyzed from the waist down. She felt tears forming in her eyes as the devastation they all felt came to her memory. It was a life-changing experience. 

A sigh escaped her lips as she reached the room her parents occupied. A change that occurred after her mother's accident. After the accident, her parents had to move from their room upstairs to one of the guest rooms adjacent to the kitchen.