Chapter 11

Laughing is, and will always be, the best form of therapy.
                             — Dau Voire

Paloma rolled a pen between her fingers and her eyes dimmed as she dived into deep thoughts. After a few beats of seconds, she blinked and her eyes returned to the papers spread out on the desk in front of her. 

Moisture filled her eyes as she stared at the petition still marked with only Gael Davenport's signature. The empty boxes glared at her and made her heart swell with despair. 

For the rest of the day, as she ran various errands, the petition had been Paloma’s constant companion everywhere she went. She presented her cause to everyone she came across. But alas, they barely spared her a few minutes before they shunned her. 

Her heart bled the most from events that evening. 

How could people be so uncaring? She wondered as the events of her fateful day flooded her memory. 

Paloma had entered her church’s evening service with a spring to her steps, hope in her heart, and expectations high. She believed her church family would not turn their backs on her. With a happy grin, she presented the petition to the pastor and pleaded with him to encourage the members to drop their signatures. 

However, the pastor and members alike chorused the same answer, "it is futile to try and change the government's mind". Her heart cried as each person scoffed and walked off. 

She returned home with a heavy spirit. Her family noticed her displeasure and questioned her repeatedly but she evaded their questions and locked herself away for hours. 

How could she tell them that the people who they considered as their kin turned their backs on them?

She flinched as a loud knock sounded on her room door.

"Come in," she called out. 

The door squeaked open and footsteps drew closer. She looked up and greeted her elder sister with a strained smile. 

"What's new?" Iris asked as she drew closer. 

"Nothing." Paloma shook her head and heaved a sigh. 

"Figured that." Iris slipped onto the edge of the desk. "You have been quite sour since we got home. What's up?" 

"Nothing much; things just didn't go as planned." She shrugged and looked away. 

"Hmmm, what do you mean? Didn't any of the Church members sign?" 

Paloma's eyes clouded and she muttered, "Sadly, no. They believe it is hopeless to try and stop the deforestation." Her shoulders slumped forward in defeat and exasperation. 

"That's unbelievable!" Iris said with a loud voice. "I understand their skepticism but I can't believe they won't assist us." Her ponytail swung as she shook her head, "I mean, they stood by us after Mamà accident and in every other difficult time we have faced. So why would they redraw now?" Her voice filled with shock. "Especially since the entire town will benefit if the deforestation is stopped."

"Exactly, I share your thoughts. But I guess they fear the government will take action against them if they get involved." 

"Hmmm, that's fair enough. The government can be unpredictable sometimes." She clucked her tongue. "But I feel pain because they didn't support us in such a noble cause." Iris's voice cracked at the end. "What are we going to do?" 

"I don't know. I may be saddened but I have not lost hope. God will guide our path." Paloma's lips curled into a small smile. 

"I sincerely hope so." Iris's lips lifted into a smile of her own. "Maybe I could take the petition with  me to work to get the signatures of some of my colleagues."