Chapter 43

God does not guarantee us a life free of trouble but he does promise to be our refuge in the midst of the storm. — Unknown

A week had passed with tranquility living in the hearts of the Jaramillos and Davenports.

After the frightful clash with the Steelfortian officers and a quick escape, Paloma and Gael sped to the safety of the Davenports' house and the comfort of their families. The recounting of their encounter spread annoyance and fear into the hearts of their family members. Only after a lot of consoling did the matter end.

"It will soon be time to go," said a voice from behind the door.

"Okay, I will be down soon," Paloma replied.

"Don't be long." The footsteps faded away.

Paloma turned back to the mirror and grinned at her reflection. Her pastel maxi skirt fitted well with her beige tank top. After clipping on a pair of stud earrings her ensemble was completed and delight shimmered in her eyes.

She strutted out of the room with a spring in her steps. The floorboards creaked as she climbed down the stairs. A delicious aroma carried her to the kitchen where her mother and sisters were engrossed in preparing food for them and their special guests.

"Hello, everyone. How's it going?" She announced her presence and slipped in.

The women replied with positive replies and returned to their various tasks.

Paloma bit her lips as her eyes roamed around. Guilt gnawed at her for her lack of participation. "Is there anything I can help with?"

"No. Just sit and look pretty." Her mother tossed her a grin.

Paloma groaned. "I can't do that. I would feel useless." Her shoulders dropped.

Iris scoffed. "That's far from the truth. I believe you are the most useful person in this family."

Paloma blushed and shyness washed over her. "I didn't do anything. I just fulfilled my duty."

"That is something," Alexa replied with conviction visible in her voice. "I mean, if not for your perseverance El bosque curativo would have been destroyed."

"And the apothecary shop would have been near shutting down by now," Elena added.

"And I wouldn't have gotten a job with Ms. Lolita." Iris grinned.

Paloma's blush deepened and she shook her head. "I know I played a part in some of the good things that happened but please don't embarrass me and make me feel like I did a favor."

"Okay, fine, fine!" Elena chirped. "We won't do that. But always remember that you won't become useless just because you didn't contribute to some things. In a family, everyone has a part to play at certain times, understood?"

Paloma nodded and shared a smile with her mother. She offered a prayer of thanks for her family. They made her who she was and she would never forget that.

"Hmmm, something smells delicious in here," Salvador said and ambled in with searching eyes. "Aha, it's my favorite pie!" Delight shone in his eyes.

Alexa snorted. "A house might be on fire but you would not smell the smoke however, the aroma of apple pie can wake you up from a deep slumber."

Salvador produced a half grin. "I can say the same thing about you. A house might be on fire but you can sleep right through it."

Alexa huffed and turned back to the picnic basket she was arranging.

"Anyway, Mamà, can I have some pie?" Salvador asked and moved to the pie sitting on the countertop.

"No." Elena pulled him back. "We shall all have it after the meal."