Chapter 9

Certain people enter our lives at the perfect time, for the most beautiful reasons, and you know right away it was a gift from God. - Brigitte Nicole

The sun was a fiery yellow ball in the sky. An endless blue sky enclosed it. The evergreen leaves on the trees glistened with gold streaks.

There was a pump to Paloma's steps. A hum flowed from her lips as she combed her brown hair. A happy glint appeared in her hazel eyes.

"Yes, this is it!" Paloma grinned at herself in the mirror.

Albeit begrudgingly, Timothy finally agreed for them to prepare the petition. Paloma spent two nights drafting it. And now, everything was perfect much to her satisfaction.

She pranced over to her bedside table, opened a drawer, and pulled out a clipboard.

She smiled and ran a hand over it. "Father in Heaven, please let everything go smoothly." She took a quick look upwards.

With a spring in her steps, she strutted out of the room. "Good Morning, everyone!" She sent a smile to each of her family members sitting around the dining table.

"Morning!" They all echoed.

She took a few steps and dropped the clipboard on the center table in the living room.

"Sorry I am late." She gave an apologetic smile as she pulled out a chair, and sat down.

"Don't mention it, cupcakes. We know these last few days have been hectic for you."

Paloma sent her father a smile of appreciation. "Thanks, Papà!"

Timothy nodded his head. "Let's say grace and have breakfast." He faced ahead. "Please, Elena, do the honor!"

And so with that, they all clasped the hands of the person sitting beside them, bowed their heads, and shut their eyes as Elena's sweet and soft voice filled the room. After saying "Amen" in unison, they dug into their meal. Platters of sausages and pancakes went round the table.

Several minutes later, the plates were cleared and no speck was left on the ancient mahogany dining table. The family moved to the living room as Paloma announced she had something to say. They took their place on the couch while Paloma stood in the middle of the room.

She picked up the clipboard and clutched it. "Ahem!" She cleared her throat and the eyes of everyone in the room landed on her.

She swallowed and produced a nervous smile. "So as many of us know, our beloved El bosque curativo is on the verge of being deforested. We all know what the forest means to us." She went silent as her family muttered various words of anger and misery.

"Anyway, after a lot of deliberation and prayers, we decided to prepare a petition to the government to cancel the deforestation. And here it is." She raised the clipboard and produced a grin. "So I need a favor from all the adults here." She sent a smile to her youngest brother who produced a pout.

"And what is that?" Iris asked. "I am ready to do anything to save our forest." A glint of eagerness and determination gleamed in her eyes.

Paloma beamed and her heart soared in joy. "Well, it is nothing much. I need you all to put your signature in the spaces at the bottom of the page."

"That's no problem!" Juan said quickly. "I will go first." He collected the petition and signed it. A grin remained on Paloma's face as the petition went around and each adult put their signature on it.

"Thank you all so much!" She beamed and collected the file from Alexa who was seated closest to her.

Someone cleared their throat."Well, I don't want to dash your hopes." Timothy said. "But the signatures of the seven of us is not enough to change the mind of the government." He shook his head.