Chapter 13

The glory of young men is their strength,  And the splendor of old men is their gray head. 
                            — Proverbs 20: 29

Paloma slipped into her mustard oxfords and flung her work satchel over her shoulder.  

"Mamà, I'm off!" She yelled from her place by the door. 

"Okay, sweetie! Have fun!" Elena's called back from the kitchen. 

"I will!" Paloma slipped out of the front door and cascaded down the steps. She stopped in front of the driveway debating whether to walk or drive her bike. After some deliberation, she chose the former. 

The wind whipped at her hair, she pushed a few straying strands to the back of her ear. She sent a smile to everyone she passed—strangers and friends. 

She kicked at the pebbles that blocked her path. A smile split on her lips as a cool breeze slapped her face. Such elements of nature always brought her some form of joy.  

One of her favorite pastimes was to dig her feet in the wet sand at the beach and to swim in the coolness of the water. 

Lago De Paz suddenly flew to mind and she grinned wider. The Lake of peace lived up to its name. She had always found a calmness by sitting at the edge, watching the crystal blue water. 

She decided then that in the days to come, she will take a trip there for a breather. 

Finally, she stalled in front of the ebony gate that stood as security for Steeelfort's old people's home. 

"Afternoon, Mr. Frederick!" She waved at the middle-aged security officer. 

"Afternoon, Miz Paloma!" He sent her a sleepy smile. A permanent feature on his face. 

The gates swung open and the moss green grass in the lawn welcomed her. It was trimmed to perfect evenness. It always look so clandestine, Paloma wondered if it had ever been walked upon. 

She shook her head at the thought and chuckled at the absurdity of it. Gravel crunched under her feet as she ambled down the driveway up to the front entrance of the building. 

A sparkling white door that was covered with glass from the middle up greeted her. The doorbell chimed as she pressed it. Her hand fell to the side as she waited to be received.  

"Hello there!" A grinning face appeared as the door was pulled open. 

"Afternoon, Ms. Maddie." She sent a smile to the plump woman dressed in pink scrubs.  

"Come on in!" The woman opened the door wider. "The women are sitting in the lounge." 

"Thank you!" Paloma smiled and stepped inside the brightly lit room. A staircase covered in beige carpet led to the resident's rooms. And downstairs served as a kitchen, dining room, and lounging area. 

Paloma strode down the hallway leading to the lounge area.  The periwinkle and lilac wallpapers that covered most of the walls filled the house with a form of brightness and warmth. 

"Hello, Ladies!" Paloma announced her presence to the older women who were engrossed in reading and some needlework. 

Five faces turned to her and a happy grin formed on their lips. 

"Come here, dear! We all have been anticipating your arrival." The elder woman at the beginning of the couch stretched out a hand. 

Paloma drew closer. "I am glad to hear that, Ms. Allie." She squeezed her hand and beamed. "How's the knee?"