Chapter 32

Walk together as a family even If it may be faster and easier to do the job ourselves. Talk with our sons and daughters as we work together. — Robert D Hales

Gael’s head ached a little, probably because of the emotional whiplash he’d just undergone. He’d fled into the refuge of the forest downtrodden and upset, unsure of where to go or what to do. Then, in what couldn’t possibly have been a coincidence, he’d run into Paloma again, and their conversation had lifted his spirits. She gave him hope, reminding him that while things were dire, and even though the government seemed intent on crushing the people, the people had each other. 

Now the two had agreed to collaborate. They’d work out a solution for their families’ problems together, since as Paloma had said, two are better than one. Much as the prospect excited Gael, though, it didn’t change the feeling of directionlessness. Sure, they’d work something out together, but what exactly? 

Then Gael snapped out of his thoughts and realized Paloma had been talking to him as he pondered, but he hadn’t been paying attention. He shook his head and face-palmed. “Sorry, my mind was somewhere else. What were you saying?” 

Paloma quirked a brow. “I was saying, since we’re gonna be partners, you’re gonna have to help me help you.” 

His brows wrinkled. “What’s that supposed to mean?” 

“Well, you know my predicament. You signed the petition, after all, so you have to. But if I don’t know yours, I can’t help you. Not to pry, but…” 

Gael sighed. “I guess I’ll have to tell you sooner or later.” 

“I really don’t wanna force you, but–” 

“No, I get it. You can’t help me solve a problem you don’t know. The short of it is the government saw my signature on your petition and is using it to blackmail my sister.” 

“That’s terrible!” Paloma cried, “What do they want from her?” 

“At first, they were just saying they wanted her to spy on the mayor of Newhill. I guess he’s not too keen about this deforestation himself.” 

“Who would be?” 

“Sebastian Aleric, apparently. But anyway, the government sent a letter to our house just today that’s really concerning. They’re not gonna take action against me for signing the petition, but only on a bunch of ridiculous conditions. One of those is that my sister will be forced to marry the mayor of Newhill.” 

Paloma’s grip tightened around the stems of the flowers in her hands. “Are you serious? They must be mad!” 

“I can’t let that happen. I’d rather die than see my sister used like that…a pawn in Aleric’s game.” 

“Believe me, I have a lot of siblings myself, and I would hate to see anything like that happen to them. So, you need your sister saved from that mess, and I need this forest to be saved from Aleric’s greed.” 

Gael nodded vigorously. “Yes. Now we just need a plan.” 

“See, that’s the hard part,” Paloma remarked, taking a step onto the path leading back out of the clearing and away from the lake. 

Gael fell into step beside her and offered to hold some of the flowers for her, which she declined. “Yeah, that’s the thing. It’s easy to say what we need to accomplish, but I don’t know how to get us there. If my sister doesn’t do what the government is asking of her, we’ll be breaching a contract we never agreed to, and I can only imagine we’ll all be arrested. Or maybe they’ll arrest me and my mom, but still, force Ramona to do their bidding without us to protect her.”