Chapter 23

A miracle is God doing only what God can do. — Ronald Dunn

Someone once said that when God steps in, miracles happen. Paloma could attest to the certainty of the statement. 

"Thank you so much!" She grinned as a person penned their signature. 

"You are welcome. All the best." The person said and walked off.

Paloma grinned as two other persons came forward and signed in the empty boxes. She expressed her appreciation and they departed. 

Her eyes glistened with tears of joy as she looked down and counted the signatures. 

Thank you, Jesus! 

20 more to go. 

"How's it going, cupcakes?" Timothy asked as he reached her,  armed with two shopping bags. 

She looked up and beamed. "It's going wonderful. We have gotten 30 signatures altogether." 

"That's great. Things are looking bright." He produced a toothed grin. "I guess your idea of coming to this trade fair was right."

"Yeah…I was quite skeptical at the beginning but I am glad things turned around for good." She smiled. 

Timothy nodded. "I guess we should get going. We acquired some signatures and some supplies. That's enough accomplishment for the day." 

"True. It's close to dinnertime." She tucked away the petition and picked up the shopping bags at her feet. 

The father and daughter strolled to where Timothy's blue truck was parked and loaded the goods in the backseat. 

Paloma took her place at the passenger seat and Timothy veered the car onto the road. 

Paloma leaned back and her lips lifted into a smile. She hummed a happy tune and her heart danced with glee. 

                      ★★★★

Birds chirped at the window the next day. Paloma's eyes peeled open and she produced a yawn.  She said her prayers and ambled inside the bathroom to prepare for the day. 

With a song on her lips, she returned, stood in front of the mirror, and combed her brown locks. A smile glued on her face as she went through the rituals of putting on her accessories. 

Satisfied with her look, she turned to the side and her eyes lightened up as they landed on the petition. Her smile widened and she picked it up.  As she gazed at it, a thought crossed her mind, and she decided to execute it.  

She sauntered out of the room with a grin and the petition in her hand. Her legs padded over the floor as she headed towards the room opposite her own. She gave a swift knock and stepped back. 

"Come in." A muffled voice called out. 

Paloma put her hand on the doorknob and pushed the door open. Her brows rose but she wasn't surprised at the scene that greeted her. It was Alexa's room after all. 

She grimaced and hopped over a pair of shoes scattered in front of the door.  Her eyes touched the bed. Half of the blanket lay on the floor and clothes were strewn all over it. 

Paloma jumped as a slamming sound rang in her ears. She clutched her chest and turned to the side with wide eyes.  "What was that for, Alexa?" 

"Sorry, I forgot I wasn't  the only one here." A sheepish look crossed her face.