Chapter 33

Dinner lubricates business. — William Scott

"Thank you for the ride," Paloma sent Gael a smile as he halted the car in front of her house.

"Don't mention it. It was my pleasure." He sent her a smile of his own.

Paloma gathered up the bouquets of flowers on her lap. So engrossed in her task, she didn't notice Gael slip out of the car. She turned to climb out of the truck.

"Oh?" Her eyes widened as Gael stood beside the open door.

He chuckled as he grasped her waist and gently maneuvered her out of the car.

"Thanks," Paloma muttered as her feet touched the floor. Her cheeks reddened with mild embarrassment. Being assisted to do such a simple task made her feel helpless. A feeling she had never been able to embrace.

"You are welcome." An amused twinkle sparkled in his eyes and he sent her a knowing look.

Paloma huffed and stomped her foot. "I shall help myself next time." Her head rose with a stubborn tilt.

"That's fair enough." His amused smile increased. "However, I won't be responsible if you sprain your ankle or trip and fall."

Paloma scowled in response and swung around in the direction of her house. "Goodbye, Mr. Davenport," she said over her stiff shoulders. "I shall call you when I talk with my family."

Without waiting for a response, Paloma marched off. She held in a grimace as her injured knee throbbed in pain. Gael's hearty laugh followed her up the steps.

"I shall wait with bated breath." He called out.

She gritted her teeth as her annoyance heightened. Her hold on the bouquets of flowers tightened as she fought to control her anger.

"How am I supposed to partner with him when he loves laughing at my expense?" Paloma muttered under her breath.

A basket lay beside the door and she dumped the flowers inside with the mind to arrange them the next morning.

She stalled in front of the door and heaved a sigh. Her annoyance faded but wariness washed through her. Her hand pressed down the doorknob and she pushed the door open.

Darkness covered her as she stepped inside and locked the door. She blinked rapidly as her eyes adjusted to the dimness. Her eyes roamed around but she didn't catch a glimpse of her family.

They must have retired to their rooms.

I will talk to them in the morning.

She gave up the search and approached the stairs. The wooden boards creaked lightly as she ascended it. Finally, her room door came into view and a feeling of relief welled within her.

The door opened and the same darkness loomed in the room. However, the sense of safety she felt at the lake caressed her. Her bed and pillow beaconed over but she suppressed the urge and went about her bedtime routine.

Fresh from taking a shower, Paloma slipped under the sheets. The softness of her blanket soothed her aching bones. Drowsiness consumed her and her eyes flickered close. However, before sleep entirely took over she whispered, "Lord, let everything go smoothly tomorrow."

*********

The morning sun streamed into the room through the creaks in the closed curtains. A groan sounded and Paloma rolled over to face the ceiling. Water filled her and she blinked it away. She pulled herself into a sitting position and rubbed her face. The ping from her phone drew her attention. She picked it up and a message popped up on the screen.