Chapter 2

My sister and my mom, those people help me get through every single day.
                                 — Demi Lovato

After an unremarkable drive, Gael let out a deep breath and turned into the driveway of his equally nondescript home. The Davenport residence differed little from scores of near-identical houses and apartments strewn across Steelfort. With all the rooms inside standing on the same level and the roof being completely flat, only sloping on the overhang, the building looked as if it were squat and short. 

Gael’s house was painted matte black, just like everybody else’s in the neighborhood. He and his little sister Ramona had talked at length about how ugly the aesthetic was and how much they would have liked to change it, but their mother Lolita always joined the conversation to remind them nobody in Steelfort was allowed to choose the color of their own home. Not without a special permit that exceeded their rent in expense, that is. And if the city decided to change the color again as they had done three times already in Gael’s memory, there was nothing they could do about it except maybe watch. 

But at least that gave the Davenports one less thing to worry about, Gael mused to himself as he exited the vehicle. He locked the truck up and then began a brisk walk to the front door. The air had somehow grown chillier since he’d left the butcher’s shop. Now, a bone-chilling draft whizzed over Gael’s exposed face and made him all the more eager to get inside. 

Before he could even insert his key into the lock, the door swung open, and Ramona’s silvery-blue eyes smiled up at him. Gael returned the grin and pulled his sister into his arms. When they parted, Ramona stepped back so Gael could cross the threshold and close the door. The moment he fully entered, the contrast between the harsh cold outside and the nurturing warmth of home brought a ray of sunshine into his heart. 

“So, how’d it go?” Ramona asked in a casual tone. 

Gael began wriggling out of his coat. “Alright. Shot a big deer and got some good money for it. Just in time for our rent bill.” 

“Just in time. You didn’t fight any cougars this time? Or squared up on a roaming bear?” 

“Not this time,” Gael replied with a chuckle. He hung up his coat on the rack beside the door with a sweeping glance across the living room. “Where’s Mom?” 

“Oh, she’s in the kitchen.” 

Gael nodded, noting to himself the mischievous glint in Ramona’s eyes as he turned. Something was up, and if their mother had been intending to surprise Gael with something, she’d shot herself in the foot by including Ramona in the secret. Gael’s blonde sister was notorious for spoiling surprises, intentionally or otherwise. 

After threading his way through the living room and dining room, Gael made a left turn and found his mother Lolita hard at work in the kitchen. She nimbly stepped across from one counter to the other while kneading something in her hands. A house drone followed her movement, carrying a tray of what appeared to be eleven flattened circles of raw cookie dough in its metal clamps. 

Lolita pressed the twelfth lump of dough down into the tray, and as she began to wipe her hands on her apron, she finally glanced up to see Gael. A warm smile spread across her face, and she immediately extended her arms for an embrace. Gael readily obliged. 

“I thought you’d be out longer.” Lolita said as she stepped back, “My plan was to have some fresh-baked cookies to warm you up when you walked in.” 

“It’s alright, Mom. I’m sure they’ll still taste great.” 

“They’d better! I won’t rest until they do.” 

Gael chuckled. Then he reached into his coat pocket to reveal the money he’d been given by the butcher, spreading the bills out so his mother could count them. 

“You shot one of those smaller deer today?” Lolita asked. 

“No, it was actually pretty big. Just the butcher changed his rates to adapt to those new business taxes. Guess it’s hard to be generous when you have so little to give.” 

“Yeah...things never used to be quite like this.” 

Gael shook his head in frustration. “We pay such high taxes, and what for? It really feels like we’re just paying the government just so they can come up with new ways to scam us out of our money. You’d think the roads would be good, at least.” 

“Sadly, nothing’s as it should be. But someday, our Lord will make all things right.” 

“Kinda wish that day would roll around by now. I feel about ready to throw in the towel.” 

“I know the feeling.” Lolita said with kind understanding in her eyes, which were the same emerald green color she’d passed onto her son, “But on the bright side of things, you scored us this month’s rent exactly! That’s one less worry on our plate.” 

“True. And if you’re making cookies, that tells me we aren’t low on food.” 

“Your intuition serves you well. I wouldn’t waste supplies on dessert if we had no meals.” 

Gael nodded. “Well, all in all, things could be worse. Thank God they aren’t.” 

“Amen. Now, you’d better get settled in. By the time you finish, the first batch should be done here.” 

“Sounds like a plan. Thanks, Mom.” 

With that, Gael turned to leave the money on the dining table and then headed down the hallway to his bedroom. Once he stepped through the doorway, he left all the order and cleanliness of the rest of the house behind and entered the chaos and clutter of his personal space. 

To call Gael’s disorderliness proof of a slobbish mentality would be inaccurate. Sure, half the time, he forgot to hang his shirts up and instead tossed them on the floor beside his bed, and a few pairs of used socks hadn’t quite made it to the laundry hamper, but his lack of neatness had more to do with being busy than being lazy. 

After all, the butcher had told no lie when he said Gael’s father had left some big shoes to fill. Gael always tried his best to live up to the standard his father had set, but oftentimes, that simply came at the expense of neatness. 

At any rate, Gael had cookies to get to, so he began to remove his cold and dirty hunting clothes in favor of something warm and comfortable. Maybe he’d even clean his room for once after the homemade treat. 

                       ★★★★★
So there we have it guys! Chapter 2 is up and the ship is sailing 😁

We met the remaining Davenports. XD

So what are your thoughts on Ramona and Lolita? Fill in the comments section with your thoughts. XD

And most importantly, don't forget to 👇
Vote⭐
And share

Until next time, enjoy some freshly baked cookies 🍪 😂