Chapter 21

It's okay to be afraid.
It's not okay to let the fear stop you  —Unknown                  

Dark clouds filled the sky, lightning struck, and thunder rumbled. Heavy downpour surged down on the earth. The winds that swept through smashed the raindrops against the windows of the Jaramillo house.  

Inside the house, the family huddled together in the sitting room with the fireplace warming them with its heat. 

 A shadow of gloom hovered over them. They sat with rigid backs and stiff shoulders; their breaths were bated in fear that their worst nightmare might become a reality. 

"How long is this going to continue?" Alexa asked from her spot on the floor close to the fireplace.

"It will continue for as long as God and nature please," Timothy replied as he swayed on the rocking chair. 

"It's not just the rain, Papà. Some  kind of change has taken place around here." 

Timothy let out a light chuckle. "It's probably the weather. It has been raining for three days without hardly any break." 

"I agree with Alexa. There is a different aura in the air. You all seem tense." 

That's because we are tense. Paloma thought. Her eyes drifted from the book she was reading and landed on the face of her younger brother and the last born of the family.  At almost thirteen, Salvador was very observant of people's moods and attitudes. His eyes constantly sparkled with curiosity. And his utterances were filled with maturity beyond his age. 

"It's nothing for you to worry about, Sal!" Paloma sent him a smile. "Papà is right; the weather is just making us feel blue." 

Salvador stared at her with doubt and then shook his head. "Okay, if you say so." He shrugged and turned back to the game playing on his tab. 

Paloma turned. She and her father's eyes connected. Timothy's lips lifted into a smile of gratitude. Paloma sent him a smile of her own. Don't worry, Papà, I won't go back on my word. She told him with her eyes. 

Right from the start, the adults had decided to keep the bulk of the problems away from the two youngest. However, it proved to be difficult because Alexa and Salvador resembled each other in their alertness and inquisitiveness.

The dark shadow thickened as the room fell into silence. 

A light ruffle broke the silence a few minutes later. "How's the sewing thing going, Iris?" Elena asked. 

A smile slipped onto Iris's lips. "It's going great. It feels great to have something to do again." Her eyes lit up with glee. 

Paloma's heart sparked in joy. Thank you, Lord, for giving us something to be happy about. 

"That's good to know! But how do you feel about getting no pay?" Timothy's brows furrowed. 

"Well…surprisingly, I have no issues with it." Iris's smile didn't waver. "I believe the teachings of Ms. Lolita are worth more than any payment. You know, she is a great designer and seamstress.  I feel honored to learn with her." Her pleasure was visible in her voice. 

Paloma couldn't help the grin that formed on her lips. She repeatedly thanked God for averting one trouble that threatened to hit her family. 

"You know, I would like to meet her someday to personally thank her for taking you on. With the times we are in now, taking up a staff or anything like that is almost a liability." 

"True!" Iris agreed. 

"That would be a great idea, Tim!" Elena chimed in. "When things settle down, we should invite her and maybe her family for either lunch or dinner." She beamed.