Chapter 20

The act of gathering as a family strengthens the connection made long ago. — Unknown

As the weeks passed, the Davenports found themselves talking less and less. Each absorbed in the labor and stresses of their individual lines of work, the dinner table became the only place they managed to touch bases for a little bit and catch up on each others’ days. Even their nighttime scripture and prayer sessions eroded away, leaving each member of the family to do so privately before falling asleep. 

Gael often found himself wishing things hadn’t changed, but the family was treading water and ended every day mentally taxed. If his father were still around, things would be different, he knew, but that just wasn’t the case. Much as Gael tried to fill his father’s shoes, it became glaringly obvious that he wasn’t his father. 

Spending long hours out in the woods to hunt game did pay off, though. Selling the meat and skins eventually gave Gael the ability to pay off his loan and receive the 10% back, which he snuck into Lolita’s purse one night without explanation. She never suspected him to be the culprit, even though she’d expressed much confusion as to where it had come from. 

So one night, the Davenports gathered around the dinner table as usual, and as Gael sat down, he realized Lolita and Ramona both appeared to be in better spirits than usual. In fact, the ladies had more than just smiles on their faces. Those were smirks. Gael could only wonder what was going on. 

Lolita had simply reheated some pasta and meatballs from the night prior, soaked in a spicy tomato sauce. After saying a quick grace over the food, she began spooning out portions for her son and daughter. 

Gael took the bowl she’d filled for him with a “thank you”, only to glance down and see she’d brought four bowls out from the cupboard, not three. She seemed to notice at the same time, and they exchanged a somber look. Ramona leapt up to take the extra bowl away while Lolita carried on. 

“I have good news, guys.” Ramona said, prancing back obliviously into the dining room, “I got my first paycheck today!” 

“Oh, you did!” Lolita said. She set down Ramona’s bowl and then spooned an extra meatball in for good measure. “How much did you make?” 

“After tax, 3,240. I can’t believe they took over a thousand in taxes!” 

“That’s sadly the way things are right now.” 

Gael cleared his throat after swallowing a bite. “That’s why I do freelance work and don’t bother reporting what I earn. All they’d do is send me a bill to take the money I worked for.”  

“Still,” Lolita said, “that’s a good amount of money, Ramona. You should be proud of yourself.” 

Ramona grinned widely. “It does feel good! My boss is happy with my work, too. She says I listen to her better than her husband does.” 

Gael let out a loud laugh. “We all knew old Aleric must be a model husband.” 

“Trust me, he is,” Ramona said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “He loves his wife about as much as he loves the mayor of Newhill.” 

“Who, Mr. Ortega?” 

“Yeah, him. They’ve been having a feud over this deforestation project ever since I started working at the government house. Oh wow, I haven’t told you two about Mr. Aleric’s little scheme, have I?” 

Both Gael shook their heads after exchanging a glance. 

“Well, they suspect Mr. Ortega’s behind some of the early opposition to their plan, so they’re trying to bribe him not to worry about it.” 

“Of course, they would.” Lolita rolled her eyes. “Why talk something over if money can smooth the whole problem out?” 

“Well actually, they’re not trying to bribe him with money, but with women.” 

Now Lolita’s nose wrinkled in disgust. “That’s much worse.” 

“I know, right? They’re trying to get him to come to Steelfort for a visit, hoping his eye will be caught by one of their government workers, and then they can use her as a spy.” 

“You’d better make sure they know you’ll have no part in this. I told you it’s not safe for you to be working in the midst of those devils.” 

Lolita’s firm tone made Ramona recoil momentarily. “I know, if they ask me, I’m obviously saying no. But I doubt they’d pick me anyway; there’re other girls itching to do it already.” 

“Either way, be ready to leave the job if need be. I’m not having my daughter compromised for the sake of Aleric’s agendas.” 

“Yes, Mom.” 

Lolita’s eyes flitted over to Gael, and the sternness in her eyes gave way to that same mischief she’d come to the table with. He questioned her with a look, but said nothing. 

“You wouldn’t believe who I met this afternoon,” Lolita said. 

“Who’s that?” 

“I was pretty sure I knew her from the moment she walked in; she has such a unique aura you don’t even need to know her to recognize her. But it was Paloma Jaramillo!” 

Gael couldn’t contain the grin that spread across his face. Lowering his head, he hid the smile from Lolita. “What a coincidence … did she come in to buy some clothes?” 

“Poor thing … the jacket she was wearing could’ve used some love, but that’s not what she came in for. Actually, her sister’s looking for work, and Paloma was scoping out places for her. I’ll be meeting with her tomorrow to discuss things.” 

“What’s her sister’s name?” 

“You know what? I completely neglected to ask her! But I’ll find out tomorrow, I guess.” 

“You’re getting forgetful in your old age, Mom,” Ramona said with a teasing grin. 

All three burst into laughter at her remark, Lolita seeming to find it funniest of all. 

“I’m not that old, thank you very much.” Lolita said through laughter, “But anyway, I told Paloma I’m in no position to pay anyone, but if her sister’s willing to learn and work for free, I’ll gladly give her the opportunity. Even so, I’m having a hard time convincing myself that’s right.” 

“If you don’t have the money, you don’t have the money.” Gael sighed. “You’ve been stressing enough about just keeping the lights on.” 

“I know, but nobody should work for free. We’ll see what she says tomorrow, but I want to figure out a way to compensate her properly.” 

“Well, God only knows how many times you’ve told us that you’ll always find a way if you just trust in the Lord. You’ll find a way to pay her.” 

Lolita dipped her head with a smile of gratitude. “Amen to that, my son. You remind me more of your father every day.” 

After exchanging a bittersweet look, the two focused more fully on eating, and the conversation transitioned into more casual topics. For the first night in a while, Gael felt the three Davenports had made a meaningful connection in the midst of their busy lives. 

                           ★★★★

Ahhh, it's nice to see the Davenports together again 😁
Family is everything no matter how busy everyone is. XD

Aren't you glad Gael was able to pay the loan he collected? 😁

Anyway, my heart is bubbling with excitement and pride because WE HAVE HIT 20 CHAPTERS!! Yuppie 🎉🎉😁😁😁

So with that in mind, I would like to know your thoughts on the story so far. It could be a full review or a one-word comment. Just drop in something. XD

And also you leave, don't forget to 👇
Vote ⭐

Share

Comment.

Until next time, keep bonding with the family 😁❤