Chapter 24

To experience real agony is something hard to write about, impossible to understand while it grips you; you're frightened out of your wits, can’t sit still, move, or even go decently insane.
Charles Bukowski

Controlled chaos reigned supreme in the government house that day as the Alerics and some of their most trusted colleagues escorted Bolivar through the place. Eventually, orders trickled through the staff to return to their desks, for now, so Ramona wove her way through the disorderly throng and to the safety of her office. She even shut her door for the first time as an extra layer of isolation.

Left alone with her thoughts, Ramona cupped her face in her hands and propped her elbows up on the table. Bolivar's crooked smirk flashed through her mind, sending chills down her spine. He seemed to have taken greater interest in her than any of the others. And that wink...something about it struck her as distinctly concerning.

Worst of all, Mrs. Aleric seemed to have witnessed everything and taken great pleasure in it. Considering the plot she'd discussed with her husband and Newt some weeks ago about letting Bolivar fall in love with a Steelfortian they'd make into a spy, the whole matter hurtled in a direction Ramona didn't like.

By the time Ramona's stomach and the clock agreed that lunchtime had come, she'd accomplished fifteen minutes' work in two hours' time. With a heavy sigh and still racing thoughts, she emerged from her office and headed to the break room. Laminated signs had been tacked up all over the hallways with massive red arrows indicating the path to get there, which only increased her dread. Whatever was happening in the break room, it would probably be overly crowded, and Bolivar would be there.

As it turned out, a massive buffet had been set up inside the break room, with such a long line of people waiting to fill up a plate that it extended out the door and into the adjoining hallway. Ramona squeezed past them, causing many to bark out "don't skip the line", even though she had no intention of being part of it, to begin with. She just kept her head down, headed to the fridge, and snatched her lunch bag out.

"Hey!" a voice called out, forcing Ramona to see who was speaking. It turned out to be Sebastian, who dished out the food from a series of ladles with his sleeves rolled up. "Good food here; come get some."

"Thanks, but I'll be fine. I have an allergy." Ramona lied, and she didn't even wait for a reply before shuffling back out the door.

She sat down on the front steps of the government and fished her lunch out of its bag. Breathing a sigh of relief, she bit into a simple sandwich. Far from thrilling, but it was enough. If there was anything Davenports valued, it was having just enough.

A cool breeze wisped through Ramona's hair as she ate, serving as a delightful contrast to the warm sun above. For a while, she found herself at peace, and all the troubles in the government house remained inside. She happily relished in her respite.

Of course, then the entrance creaked open to her back, and a quick glance revealed Bolivar had emerged. That same smirk lingered on his face as he approached with a steaming dish. Ramona could feel her body tense as he strolled closer and then took a seat beside her.

He ate in silence at first, and Ramona took a quick peek at the food he'd picked. The dish had been partitioned into halves, so on one side was a heap of steaming rice mixed with peas, carrots, chunks of meat, and a host of other vegetables. On the other side was a thick stew with breadsticks peeking out of the broth.

"Awfully crowded in there, isn't it?" Bolivar asked, breaking the silence Ramona had been cherishing so greatly.

"Yeah...that's why I came out here. Sometimes you just wanna be alone."

"Believe me, I understand. I prefer small groups myself."

Ramona turned her head so he wouldn't misunderstand her little smile as any sort of invitation. "Seems to me you picked the wrong profession if that's the case."

Bolivar shrugged. "I don't have any regrets. You want a bite?"

"No thanks; I have an allergy."

"To what?"

"A lot of stuff. I have to be careful."

"That must be burdensome," Bolivar said after gnawing off a chunk of his breadstick.

"You get used to it. I've been this way all my life, so it's just part of living at this point."

"Still, I'd imagine there's some frustration to be found in that."

"Only occasionally. I'm not a big foodie, though, so I get over it. I don't understand how people get so wrapped up in overindulging on one thing."

Bolivar paused his chewing for a second as a frown etched across his face. "Like what?"

"Anything, really. Eating too much, drinking a lot...that sort of thing. People take a good thing and overdo it when enough is enough."

"Life is full of good things. No reason not to enjoy them."

Ramona crumpled up the empty bag her sandwich had been in. "Obviously. Nothing wrong with enjoying something, but a lot of folks don't know when to stop."

She made a move to stand, but a firm hand on her shoulder compelled her to remain seated. Ramona glanced over quickly to see another crooked grin on Bolivar's face. She almost shuddered, but not quite.

"Stay a little longer." Bolivar said in a tone both firm and nonthreatening, "You're nice to talk to."

"If you insist...not sure what's so interesting about me, though."

Bolivar flashed his teeth at her, chuckling. "Oh, I'll tell you. You know what I first noticed about you?"

"What's that?" Her brows furrowed.

"It's your eyes. I've never seen any like them before. They're blue, yes, but there's something more to them." He scooted a little closer and put a finger on her chin, tilting her head up and prompting a shudder. "A certain silvery touch in there as well. It adds a certain keenness to your look."

"Uh...Thanks...?"

"You don't need to thank me; I'm only stating facts."

Ramona exhaled slowly and subtly turned away a little. She wasn't liking the hunger in his gaze or the lightness of his touch. Everything seemed to be heading in a direction she didn't like.

"I really should be getting back to work now. Lots to do." Ramona said, rising to her feet unencumbered this time.

"If you insist. What was your name?"

"Ramona."

"Ramona...quite lovely." Bolivar leapt to his feet, took her hand without asking, and pecked it with his lips. "I'm Bolivar, but you knew that. A pleasure to meet you."

"You...too."

"Hopefully, we'll meet again soon. Perhaps a little less formally."

The wink at the end was all the cue Ramona needed to shuffle inside. Stomach churning and thoughts turning, she hurried for the safety of her office, and once inside, she locked the door. She plopped down right on the floor and hid her eyes behind her palms. With quivering breaths, she attempted to process the insanity unfolding in her life.

                         ★★★★★

Poor Ramona! 😢

What do you think Bolivar is up to? 🤔

And how do you imagine it would shape the story?

Fill the comments section with your thoughts.

Not much to say today

However, don't forget to👇

Vote ⭐

Share

Comment

Until next time, watch things unfold. XD