Chapter 41

Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it.- Nicholas Sparks,

There was a light buzz in the car of the Jaramillos as they headed towards the Davenports' house. It was a journey towards the city. A part of Steelfort they had frequented in the last few months.

While the rest of the family chatted amicably with each other, Paloma sat stiffly by the window with various thoughts drifting through her mind. She was eager to reach their destination so she could unload everything burdening her mind.

"Sis, we are here!" Alexa announced from beside her.

"Okay." She picked up the box of cupcakes on her lap and followed Alexa out of the car. Her eyes scanned the area and her brows wrinkled as her eyes landed on the Davenport house.

"Gross. Who paints their house black?" Iris said as she came to stand beside her.

"Unfortunately, the government chooses the color of the houses in every neighborhood in the city," Timothy replied and tsked.

"That's preposterous!" Iris exclaimed.

"After seeing this and hearing that, I am quite glad we live on the outskirts," Juan remarked.

"Yeah, I agree. I would have lost it if I lived in such an awful-looking house," Iris said and scrunched her nose.

"I agree with all of you. But I believe we should head in. I am sure the interior is much more pleasing," Elena smiled.

"Yeah, let's go," Alexa muttered. "Although it would be terrible if the government has a say on how the interior should be."

"I know, right? I don't even want to think about it," Iris huffed.

The family went silent and headed to the front door. Paloma's hands became clammy and her heart pounded. Timothy did the honors of ringing the doorbell and a few moments later the door swung open. Lolita's grinning face welcomed them.

"Please, come in." She stepped to the side and the Jaramillos filed in.

"I am so glad you could make it." She beamed and exchanged a hug with everyone.

Surprise filled Paloma as Lolita hugged her the longest and squeezed her before letting go. She sent the older woman a smile and handed her the box of cupcakes.

"Ahh, there was no need for this. We have more than enough dessert."

"Psst," Elena waved her hand, "we have to return the favor you did us. You brought something when you came over to our place so please, don't stop us from showing our appreciation."

Lolita nodded and smiled. She handed the box to Ramona who had slipped in while Lolita and Elena were conversing. Paloma's eyes flickered around the house and her forehead creased.

"Ahh, you are looking for Gael, right?" Lolita's voice drew her attention.

Paloma blushed and shyly nodded.

Elena sent her a bright smile. "I'll get him," she said and slipped out of the room.

Confusion welled in Paloma as she pondered on the look Lolita sent her before leaving the room. It was a knowing look. But what did she know? Paloma wondered. The longer she thought about it, the more her nervousness increased.

"Good evening, everyone!" Gael greeted and entered the room. He smiled and shook hands with Timothy, Juan, and Salvador.

Paloma's breath hitched as he turned to face her with a warm smile.