Chapter 15

I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
My God, in whom I trust!”
                        —Psalm 91:2

You are only putting your family in trouble

The words of the nurse floated in Paloma's head. 

Is it true, God?  Am  I playing with fire? 

A shiver ran down her spine at the thought of the government causing any harm to her family.  

Oh God, shield my family. She looked heavenward.  However, fear still gnawed at her soul.  

Suddenly, an urge to look at the petition consumed her. She unzipped her satchel and with utmost care pulled out the paper. She stared at the paper with a myriad of emotions. A shaky smile slipped onto her face as her eyes roamed over the signatures.  

Thank you, Lord,  for the women. And thank you for making them put down their signatures. 

Paloma's heart swelled with gratitude. However, her smile fell as the words of the nurse forced their way back. 

"Oh Lord, be a refuge to me and my family." She whispered in the silence of the hallway. 

Her eyes remained glued to the petition as she continued her trek down the hallway of the retirement home. As she drew closer to the exit, her eyes perked up at the sound of the door opening. Out of curiosity, she looked up. A figure was by the door holding it open. Her eyes traveled to the face of the person. A look of recognition flickered in her eyes. 

"Gael!" She produced an excited grin. 

"Paloma!" He sent her a smile of his own. "It's good to see you again." 

Paloma grinned wider.  "It's definitely a pleasure. Thanks for yesterday." 

Gael shook his head. "Don't mention it; I did what I felt was right." Honesty mixed with confidence shimmered in his eyes. And Paloma couldn't have smiled wider. 

However, her expression shifted from a smile of glee to one of amusement as she noticed the door still open with Gael's hand clasped on the doorknob. 

"I believe we should head outside. We don't want a pesky insect to fly in and trouble the women." Laughter shone in her eyes. 

"Oh!" He produced an embarrassed smile. "Please go ahead." He shifted further to the side. 

Paloma smiled and crossed over the threshold. Gael slipped out and the door shut softly behind them.  

The scorching sun beat down on them. Paloma felt beads of sweat form on her forehead.  

"So...how's the petition stuff going?" Gael asked as they began their descent down the stairs. 

Paloma's lips curled into a slight smile. "It's coming along slowly. Today, I  got some signatures from the old ladies living here." Her smile grew at the thought. 

"That's great! Congratulations." His lips lifted in a smile. "I am sure very soon the petition will be so filled up, you will need to add an extra page." 

"Thank you. I sincerely hope that will be the case." She sent him a kind smile. She would never forget that he was the first person who gave her a chance. 

A grimace formed on her face as the words of the nurse nagged at her, fighting for dominance over the joy she felt at the progress of the petition. 

"Are you okay?" Gael reclaimed her attention. "You have a scowl on your face."

She turned to face him and produced a strained smile. "Yeah, I am okay." 

"Okay, if you say so." He gazed at her with a hint of doubt in his eyes.