Chapter 30

Terror had them all for a moment, and it ravaged them, and when it was finished, shock had its way with them, and left them cold and helpless. —Dean F. Wilson, 

As afternoon faded and threatened to give way to evening, Gael lounged in his living room with his feet propped up and a nature magazine balanced in his palms. Savory aromas floated his way from the kitchen, as did the sound of his mother and sister chattering lightheartedly. Ramona’s boss had chosen benevolence today and let her go home early, freeing her to help Lolita cook up a stew featuring some goose meat Gael had kept from his latest hunt. Overall, the Davenport household experienced an easy afternoon. 

Eventually, Gael got tired of the magazine, so he sat up and flopped it down on the coffee table. The sprawl of unsorted mail beside it called his attention, so he scooped the envelopes up for review. Of course, most were nothing more than desperate companies attempting to disguise their advertisements as legitimate mail. But one envelope addressed to Ramona from the government demanded his attention. That had to be important. 

Gael shot to his feet and sprinted toward the kitchen, where Ramona rolled cuts of meat through an egg and breading mixture and Lolita chopped vegetables. Buzz hovered nearby with a tray Ramona placed the meat on once she’d rolled it. Neither of the ladies noticed him in the doorway at first, so Gael cleared his throat and stepped a little closer. 

Lolita looked up with a smile. “What is it, Gael?” 

Gael shrugged, turning the envelope around so she could read it. “A letter from the government house. For Ramona.” 

“Did you open it?” Ramona asked, hardly sparing a glance from her dripping hands. 

“Didn’t figure you’d want me to.” 

“My hands are too dirty right now; go ahead.” 

So Gael slid his finger under the flap of the envelope, only for the corner to tear off immediately. The glue holding it shut made opening the letter such a chore that he finally huffed and slipped out a pocket knife. One quick slash across the top freed the letter inside. 

After Gael pried the letter out, he unfolded it and gave Ramona a curious glance. “You want me to read it?” 

“Sure.” 

“Greetings, Miss Ramona Davenport,” Gael read, “I send this letter to give you the thanks of myself and my husband for accepting our assignment to conduct espionage on Mayor Bolivar Ortega.” 

“You accepted it?!” Lolita shrieked, echoing the thoughts in Gael’s head. His gaze ascended from the page to find a stunned Ramona searching for words. 

“I had no choice!” she said, silvery eyes finding Gael’s with an accusatory edge, “They found out you signed that petition to stop the deforestation and said the only way I could stop them from taking action against you was to accept their assignment.” 

“What consequences could they possibly have in store just for signing a sheet of paper?” Gael chided, “It’s not worth it.” 

“It isn’t worth it!” Lolita agreed, “You promised me…don’t you remember?” 

Ramona hung her head. “I don’t want to do it, but they forced my hand! You know how these people are; I didn’t wanna find out what they’d do to you guys if I said no.” 

“Whatever they’d do, I’d rather endure that uncertainty than know you’re in harm’s way. Being treated as a pawn for Sebastian Aleric…sickening. What else does the letter say?”