Chapter 38

Happiness is sharing good news. —Unknown

Paloma paced around the living room and her eyes kept darting to the clock hanging on the wall.

"You are making me more nervous, sis," Alexa called out from her place on the couch.

Paloma huffed. "Why haven't we heard anything?"

"Maybe because the time has not come. You just chill."

Paloma shook her head and bit her lips as she contemplated what to do.

"Lex is right, cupcakes. You need to relax." Her father's voice drew her back to reality.

She pouted and resumed her pacing. "I can't relax until I am sure Mr. Ortega has done something." Her lips formed into a thin line and she rubbed her forehead.

"Should I call Gael to find out if he has heard anything?"

"I don't think so, dear," her mother answered. "I am sure they are as worried as we are. Let's not add to their tension."

"True," Paloma muttered and her shoulder slumped. Her eyes traveled to the clock and she let out a groan as she realized only five minutes had passed since she had checked the time.

"Come and have your seat," Timothy said. "You need to rest your feet."

Paloma heaved a defeated sigh and trudged to where her family congregated. She plopped down on the couch with Iris on her right and Salvador on her left.

Her feet curled in her slippers and she fiddled with her fingers.

"What got you so anxious, anyway?" Iris asked with raised brows.

"We only have three days left before the deforestation starts and we need to stop it before then."

"But Mr. Ortega has already agreed to help us so there's no need to worry."

She shook her head. "We need to do something before Aleric and his cronies get a whiff of what we are trying to do."

"You have a point but I'm sure Mr. Ortega is working on it."

"I really hope so."

A hush fell over the group as they got buried in their thoughts. As much as Paloma tried to convince herself that everything would be alright, the unsettling feeling swelling within her refused to cease. She fidgeted and her legs bounced with impatience.

Father, please take control, She silently prayed.

Several minutes passed with anxiety looming over the family. Suddenly, a loud ring resonated through the room. Paloma jolted as she realized her phone was ringing. She brought out her phone from her pocket and her heartbeat sped up as she gazed at the name.

"Gael," she breathed out.

Lord, please let it be good news," She pleaded before answering.

"Hello!" She sputtered and shot to her feet.

"Head over to channel 11!" Gael said in a hurried voice.

"Okay, thank you!" Paloma replied in a fast voice and cut the call. She turned to her family who were gazing at her with curiosity.

"He said we should go to channel 11."

"On it!" Juan declared and reached out for the remote control that sat on the center table.

Paloma's heart pounded as he flicked from channel to channel. Finally, he stopped and the face of a female news reporter filled the screen.

Everyone leaned forward and stared at the TV with anticipation burning within them.

Time seemed to drag as the journalist read out the headlines. Paloma's ears perked up as the reporter mentioned Bolivar Ortega's name. Her eyes traced the words on the screen as the reporter read the report.

It was found out this morning that the mayor of Newhill, Mr. Bolivar Ortega has filed a lawsuit against the CEO of the leading lumbering company, Mr. Newt. Stay tuned for more information.

Alexa squealed and a grin spread across Paloma's lips. Thank you, Jesus. Her smile grew as she digested the words of the reporter.

Her family whooped and produced shrieks of happiness. There was a smile on the faces of everyone.

She brought out her phone and dialed a number. On the third ring, a familiar voice filled the line.

"We did it, partner!" She said through a smile.

"We sure did!" Gael's happiness was visible in his voice. "I still can't believe we are getting closer to our aim."

"I know, right?" Paloma laughed. "But we better start believing it because it is happening."

"That's very true." The sound of shuffling filled the background and Gael said, "Hold on, my mom and Ramona want to say something."

"No problem, let me put it on speaker so everyone can hear." She pressed the speaker button and moved closer to her family. Everyone turned to face her with smiles still on their faces.

"I just want to tell Elena that the next dinner will be at our house," Lolita's happy voice rang out.

"Well, that's no problem. I would be glad to hand over the kitchen duties to someone else," Elena said and chuckled.

"Fair enough. In fact, I would say the men should do the cooking. Although I know my darling son only knows how to boil water."

Paloma giggled and the laughter of everyone else resonated through the room.

"Ahh, come on, mom, stop snitching."

"I am just telling the truth, dear," Lolita said through a laugh.

Gael grunted in response. Amusement welled through Paloma and she thought up ideas on how to tease him in the future.

"No need to feel bad, Gael!" Elena said. "The men here only know the spoons, forks, plates, and nothing else."

"Thanks, ma'am. I feel a lot better."

Psst," Timothy snorted. "My grandmother was a wonderful cook and I believe I snagged some good recipes from her."

"Yeah, right? That's why you used half a cup of salt instead of a teaspoon." Elena retorted and everyone burst into fits of laughter.

Timothy produced a sheepish grin. "It was a one-time thing."

"Yeah, one time too many."

The group fell into another round of laughter. Paloma couldn't be happier as she watched her dear ones truly laugh and jest for the first time in a long time.

A feeling of peace washed over her and somewhere in her heart, she knew that everything will be alright.

As their laughter died down, Ramona chimed in, "I would like to say something."

"Go on, we are all ears, " Paloma said. She felt a dash of concern as she sensed worry in Ramona's voice.

"Well...I am glad things are looking brighter. But...we still have a problem to resolve."

Poloma's brows wrinkled. "And what is that?" she asked.

"How are we going to stop my marriage to Bolivar?"

                         ★★★★

Yayy, things are looking good! 🎉

However, Ramona's question was like a bucket of cold water.

What do you think they would do next?

What possible solution is there to stop Ramona's marriage to Bolivar?

I look forward to your answers.

We might just get some ideas to write the next chapter 😂

Also, don't forget to 👇

Vote ⭐

Comment

And Share.

Until next time, be happy❤