Chapter 25

It's kind of shocking news, it's difficult, but God is giving us strength. It's kinda numbing right now. I suppose the full impact will hit us later on. — Gracia Burnham

The Jaramillo family was not sure how to react to the rude shock that shattered their happiness that fateful day. Their hearts brimmed with hope in the morning but filled with despair in the evening.

"Newt has decided to start the deforestation in two weeks," Timothy announced as the family occupied the living room.

"What?" Paloma shrieked in a loud voice. Her eyes popped open and she leaned forward. "That can't happen!" Her eyes filled with horror.

Timothy's scowl deepened. "Unfortunately, the deforestation might become our painful reality." He shook his head.

Paloma's heart raced and panic welled within her.

Oh Lord, please, don't let the deforestation take place. Paloma inwardly pleaded.

"Hmmm, but what triggered their sudden decision?" Elena chimed in with furrowed brows.

"Well...according to Newt, he wants to prevent the snitch from making any more effort to stop the deforestation." His eyes darkened.

Elena released a groan. "That doesn't sound good."

Timothy hummed in response.

Tension floated through the room and sat on the shoulders of everyone present.

"So what are we going to do?" Alexa blurted out the unspoken words that floated in the minds of everyone.

"I guess we just have to see how things go." A hint of resignation tinted Timothy's tone.

"No!" Paloma forced out. "Our plan shall continue." Her jaw hardened.

The eyes of her family members landed on her and shimmered with surprise and curiosity.

"And how are we going to do that? The deforestation starts in two weeks."

"When there is a will, there is a way." She turned to face Iris.

"I agree with you, Paloma. We shouldn't give up just like that." Juan broke the short silence.

Paloma sent him a smile of gratitude.

"I agree too, sweetie," Elena asserted. "But we haven't gotten all the signatures we need to complete the petition."

"Exactly, Mamà!" Iris exclaimed. "That's the problem. Without getting the stipulated signatures, we won't be able to submit the petition."

"Well, we could just submit it like that and hope it would have enough impact on the government's decision."

"Don't be silly, Alexa. That would just set us up for failure." Iris shook her head.

Alexa huffed. "Still, we need to do something."

"Yes, we shall do something," Paloma declared as her determination heightened.

"And what's that, cupcakes?" Her father stared at her with curiosity.

"We shall continue trying to get signatures." A smile hovered on her lips.

"And how are we going to get 15 signatures in such a short time?"

"Well... God can always work another miracle. And I don't care if I have to travel to neighboring towns to get signatures." Paloma's jaw hardened.

"Psst, that's ridiculous," Iris clamored in a loud voice. "That would be an easy way for the government to be sure we are behind the protest to stop the deforestation."