Chapter Fifteen

Harper:

"I'll have the short stack of pancakes, with a side of bacon, sausage, home fries - extra crispy with white toast please."

The waitress nodded

"Oh and two orange juices." I smiled.

I looked across from me at Billie. He had his chin resting in the palm of his hand with a bored expression.

"Sorry I'm taking up your precious time." I rolled my eyes.

"No your not." His eyes widened. "That's just.. A lot of food.. You must be hungry."

"So. Running low on cash or something?" I said sarcastically.

He just stared at me.

"It's your fault you know." I played with my fingers.

"What is?" He asked.

"Why I'm eating so much." I whispered. "It's all your fault."

"Yeah speaking of that.." He replied a little agitated.

"Speaking of what?" I snapped realizing where this was going.

"I have no proof this baby is mine. For all I know you're just.. Your just using me or something."

I glared at him imaging myself shoving knives through his eyeballs.

"You fucking bastard." I couldn't find any other words.

He flinched as if I actually had stabbed him.

"Well can you blame me Harper?? It was one night one fucking night one fucking time!" He raised his voice looking around embarrassed to see the entire restaurant now staring at him.

"You know what Billie you must be right. I'm using you. I'm using you to help me give this kid up for adoption. I'm using you by never asking for a single thing, no money no child support I practically called rape when your wife dragged me back to your house! Do you think I want this? I could of scanned a phone book randomly and found a better man to be the father of my child, don't flatter yourself. One second your all in touching my stomach nearly in tears over the thought of another baby and now you doubt he's even yours... You know what I really think Armstrong? I think you're a scared sad and lonely man. Sure you have all this money you have two kids a wife that's way to good for you but your just to fucking scared to see it."

He looked stunned.

"I'll give you your DNA test, and when it comes back positive I'm leaving. I'm going home. I'm raising this baby on my own and making sure you never have a single thing to do with him. You'll never see him, he'll never know you and that's what's best for everyone."

As I finished my rant our food was delivered to the table but I no longer had an appetite. I pushed past the waitress and walked angrily out the door. I stood on the corner of the street with my hands in the pockets of my sweatshirt. I noticed someone familiar on the other side of the road.

"Shane!?" I screamed cupping my hands over my mouth.

He turned around. I watched his eyes light up when he noticed me. Something I hadn't had in a while.

He dodged a car running across the street.

Harper!" He smiled big wrapping his arms around me.

It felt good to be wanted.