Chapter Thirteen

Billie:

"It's like every time I come home there's a new stranger living here." I looked at Adrienne sternly as if she were a child.

"I knew you'd say that." She shook her head in frustration. "But Billie it's different this time, she's pregnant and basically homeless!"

I rolled my eyes at her.

"Homeless. Right.." I said sarcastically.

She stopped arguing. "Please please let her stay. Just for a couple of weeks until she's well enough to go home." Those big brown puppy eyes made me melt. How could I say no?

"Okay okay." I replied. "Do you know anything about this girl?" I asked concerned.

"Not really." She frowned. "She hasn't opened up to me yet but I know the father of her baby isn't in the picture. He doesn't even know she's pregnant. Can you believe that?" She poured me a cup of coffee.

"Sounds strange." I sipped the hot black liquid barely listening.

"She's cute. Blonde. A little rough around the edges but I think she had a hard upbringing." Adrienne shrugged.

"Mhm. What's her name?" I flipped through a Rolling Stones magazine half paying attention.

"Harper." She chirped.

I snapped my head up to meet Adrienne. "Harper?" I asked.

"Yeah. Not a name you hear very often." She carried on moving around the kitchen making sandwiches.

"Yeah.. I guess not." I gave a confused look but she didn't seem to notice. My mind flashed back to that night we played the viper room. A girl in a sweatshirt, she was beautiful, troubled but beautiful. A rebel. A whatshername. I had thought about her a few times. The way her soft waves dripped from the pouring rain. Mascara smeared around her deep blue eyes. But mostly I remember her sadness. Like something was missing, I imagined a part of her heart breaking.

But I knew this couldn't be the same Harper. She was certainly not pregnant when we slept together and she wasn't from this part of California. I shrugged off the thought realizing goosebumps were now covering my arms.

"Billie?"

"Billie!"

I looked up to see Adrienne giving me an awkward stare.

"This is Harper." She pointed to the staircase smiling sweetly.

The familiar girls eyes widened as did mine.

"Is something wrong?" Adrienne asked looking between the two of us.

"No!" Harper yelled a little to loudly. "I mean uh.. No of course not." She corrected herself.

For a few seconds I couldn't breath.

It was her.
It was the same face.
The same frame.
The same sad look.
She was scared.
And very very pregnant.

no no no no fuck, no no fuck!