Chapter Seventeen

Harper:

"Adrienne this is really really good thank you." I shoved her homemade meatloaf into my mouth as fast as I possibly could.

"You're welcome sweetie. It's probably been a while since you've had a home cooked meal."

I nodded. "I've never really had a home cooked meal... Ever. Not until I was adopted at least.

Everyone stopped eating and just stared.

"You were adopted?" Joey asked fully interested now.

"I was." I smiled.

Every time I looked at Joey and Jake I saw what my own son might be. Would he look like them? Would he share their personalities and interests? After all they did have the same father.

"That's so cool! What happened to your real parents?"

"Joey!" Billie warned.

"No it's okay, I don't mind." For the first time in a long time I was going to tell my story, to an eight year old...

"My real parents weren't very good people. They did bad things and weren't able to take care of me because they were still like children themselves."

"So where are they now?" He asked.

"I don't know... Somewhere out there."

"Well why don't you find them?"

"Alright kids that's enough. Time for bed." Adrienne whisked them away upstairs before I could answer little Joeys question.

Billie and I looked around the room awkwardly, unsure of what to say next.

"So why don't you find them?" His deep eyes waited curiously for an answer.

"Because it's a big world Billie Joe, and some people aren't worth looking for."

"You looked for me." He whispered.

"Not for myself, for my baby."

"Our baby." He corrected.

"Your mood swings are giving me whiplash." I rolled my eyes. "One second he's yours the next you want a DNA test." I scoffed.

"I was just scared Harper. I know he's mine and I want to come to your next ultrasound." His fingers touched my hand sending chills down my spine.

"Why?" I asked pulling my hand away from his.

"Because I want to be apart of his life, if you'll let me..."

"That would include telling Adrienne." I pointed out.

"I don't care." He shook his head. "I'll tell her."

"Okay then. That really means a lot."

"I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like nothing. You're not nothing, especially to me." He smiled.

A/N

Fun fact!

I finished writing this chapter while waiting in line of the drive through at McDonald's. It was a long longggg line. 😔😞😣