Chapter 18:

Lights flashed all over me as the city lights lit up the bus windows. I was trying to sleep on the peaceful ride, but for some reason, I couldn't. I felt like I wasn't alone. Like someone was watching me. And the scariest part was that I could be right.

When everyone is coming at me from all directions, I really had no plan. But I was determined to gain my freedom. Far from the life I was so used to.

A soft sigh escape my lips as I gazed into the night sky. The stars were bright, and the full moon was bringing me a sense of comfort.

The bus occasionally shook from every pothole or bump in the road, but it was soothing. It was strange to finally have some relaxation time, but I knew it was limited.

I would be at my destination soon enough.

It had already been 7 hours, and I had scrounged up the rest of the money in my pocket for another bus ride. I was slightly regretting it, as my stomach rumbled, but put it behind me.

Even though I was calm, I knew I was ignoring the crucial details that were haunting me when I was left alone with my thoughts. I couldn't trust anyone, and that alone was causing an aching feeling that I was so used to.

I closed my eyes as the bus rocked me back and forth. I was growing bored and impatient. Desperate, I thought of stories or songs to keep my mind occupied.

The stories I would read when I was locked in my room, and the windows had been boarded up for the sole purpose of hiding me from the world. I wasn't allowed to even dream of a life that wasn't controlled by everyone else around me.

Eventually, those books were taken too.

I had no idea why such a tight leash was tugged at any sort of entertainment, but the confusion only frustrated me more.

I felt myself slipping into a small nap and gave in, but made sure to remind myself to grip onto the safety escape door just in case I awoke to any unpleasant visitors.

I gripped the cold metal and rested my head on the headrest, letting my lips part as I began to snooze.

------------

The annoying light of a bright morning woke me up, and I quickly shielded my eyes, groaning in annoyance.

I looked around me and smiled at the lush meadow with flowers of all colors, and small streams that glistened in the daylight.

Though I wasn't happy about waking up, I was appreciative of the nice scenery.

As the bus slowed to a stop, I swiftly stood up and walked off, ignoring the few more people that had probably got on as I slept.

The second I neared the doors, I could feel the soft, cool breeze almost breathing life into me again.

But as I stepped into the wet grass, I almost lost my footing, and slightly slipped, gasping before looking around my surroundings, hoping no one on the bus saw anything.

But of course, they're amused faces said it all.

I sighed as I watched the bus drive away, leaving me slightly humiliated. As I wallowed in my embarrassed state, I almost didn't hear the slight laugh that arrived.

I looked up, alarmed, but dropped my state when I saw an unfamiliar face.

"You okay?" A man asked, his eyes meeting mine.

I stared into them, suspiciously. "Yeah. I'm fine." I stared, briefly. I turned my back and walked towards the small town that required a little stroll.

"You have.... Uh... Grass stains on your knees."

I looked down, and sure enough, my torn trousers had made it easy for the stain to get onto my skin. Or under.