Chapter 19:

The town was not very lively. It was a quiet, peaceful place that seemed to have little to no tourists. Perfect for a person in a situation like mine.

But I had nothing. No money, no home, and nobody to rely on.

As I walked down that bumpy road, I felt my legs grow heavy.

I was starving, tired, and lost. But what else was new.

I glanced at my legs and sighed. My worn out shoes were definitely slowing me down. With every step, I felt the pain in my sole grow.

I tried to bear it, but it wasn't working. I sat on a patch of grass that looked comfortable and took a deep sigh.

There was a light breeze that ruffled my hair in a soothing manner. The big oak tree I was under only made it even more tempting to sleep. The sound of the rustling leaves helped my body relax.

As I attempted to nap, my mind began to wander.

Images of a tree similar to the one I was under came back. I remembered something like that from when I was a kid.

The old oak tree. Where Mom always was.

How I missed her. We would silently enjoy each other's company, soaking in the beautiful world. Nothing went wrong.

Father, on the other hand, was always scary. A striking frown that scared the hell out of me. He would backhand me with zero hesitation if I was ever out of line.

He liked Layne, however.

Well, Layne made it hard to dislike him. He would do anything for Father's approval.

My eyes slowly opened again.

I heard a leaf crunch and sat up.

A child stared at me, his big, green eyes stuck on my own. "I thought you were dead." He mumbled, tugging on the bottom of his shirt.

I stared at him, a small smile spreading on my lips.

"You thought I was dead?" I repeated, a little amused.

He nodded again before glancing at a man walking towards him.

"You little shit! I told you not to run off!" He growled, grabbing the kid, despite his whines.

I stood up, reaching for the kid.

"Hey! Let him go!" I shouted grabbing the kid's ankle, stopping the man.

He rolled his eyes and removed my hand.

"This is my brother. My mom was worried sick, and he knows not to wander alone."

"I don't believe you. You look nothing alike!"

"We're half brothers!"

I squinted my eyes at him and he raised a brow.

"Follow me, then." He challenged.

"Okay, I will." I challenged back.

He rolled his eyes and began to walk down that road, the kid still stuck in his arm.

I was careful to keep my pace. Close enough so that he couldn't run, and far enough so he couldn't try anything funny.

Before I knew it, we were walking into a yard. "This is our house. We live here. You can go now."

"Prove it."

"Ugh."

He opened the door and glanced back at me one last time.

"Mooooommmm!" He called out, glaring at the kid, as if blaming him.

"Is he ok?!" She answered, growing close to the door, her eyes snapping from the kid to me.