Chapter 28: Epilogue

_______________

"Hey! Nice to see you!" Greyson gave me a quick hug before we both sat down across each other.

"Yeah. It's been a while." I softly smiled as I took a sip of my drink.

There was a small pause before Greyson gave me a strange grin.

"What?" I laughed, looking around.

"You're different. You look so.... Happy. And those eye bags you had are all gone. What is that boyfriend of yours giving to you? Let me have some."

I rolled my eyes. "He's not giving me anything. I've actually learned to take care of myself."

"I'm happy for you."

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Thank you."

"How's life with just the two of you?"

I smiled, remembering Gloria's demand that we visited soon, or there would be consequences.

"Fun. I feel like a newlywed."

"And how was the honeymoon?"

While it wasn't a honeymoon, I answered honestly. "Really nice. I had a great time. We spent a whole lotta time- well, you know. Relaxing."

"Mhm.... Relaxing. Sure." Greyson sarcastically joked.

"Oh, shut up. So, what's up with you?"

"Oh, same old, same old. I don't have a boy toy, like you. But life's still nice. I don't think I'll ever stop being paranoid, but I'm getting by, and that's good enough."

I nodded understandingly. "I'm sorry I had to use you to threaten Roy."

He waved his hand. "It was my idea. I knew he'd fold at the mention of my name. And I'm sure you wouldn't have gone through with it.... Right?"

I laughed. "Right."

"Then it's all good. Now, let's drink and destress before your husband comes to pick you up."

"Okay, okay."

_______________

"You... Guys look like you had a lot of fun..." Rome observed, his eyes flicking between the two of us. Greyson was dancing to a song I didn't recognize, and I was lying down on the bench, smiling up at him.

"We did!" I chirped while attempting to sit up.

"I'll call Arc to come pick you up." He called out to Greyson who nodded almost immediately. "Yeah... He always picks up when I call, so use my phone."

He clumsily tossed his phone, but Rome managed to catch it.

"Passcode?"

"My birthday."

".... And what would that be?"

"Ummm..... I forgot....."

"0413." I shouted, resting my heavy lids while listening.

"Wow, you remember Cody..... You're a real friend."

I was too tired to respond.

I heard Rome talking on the phone, but didn't bother attempting to listen.

"Okay, he'll be here soon. We'll stay until then. I'll get you two some water." He turned around and left.

Greyson approached me, flopping down onto the booth. "He's a real catch, Cody. I'm happy for you."

I nodded. "I'm happy for me too."

_________

The walk to the car was too long for my liking. Rome said there was barely any parking spots available, so I had to suck it up, but I didn't want to. I complained the whole way there.

"You're such a baby...." Rome poked fun at me, which I did not like. I was a little more sober, but I was still dizzy.

"Lemme take a break." I was breathing too heavy to keep going.

He sighed. "Okay. This is our 6th break, but whatever you need."

I looked up at him, taking in the view. The moonlight reflecting off of his skin was too alluring. I took a mental picture and felt a warm smile on my face.

"I'm really happy." Was all I said.

He seemed caught off guard.

"I'm... Not afraid anymore. Because I love you wayy more than any other emotion."

I continued walking, shivering when a cool breeze ran over my body.

"I'm really happy, too. I love you. More than you love me, probably." He was suddenly right behind me.

"No way. That's impossible." I linked arms with him and rested my head on his shoulder.

"No, it's not. I seriously love you. More than..... Food."

"Wow. You're right. You do love me more." I laughed, feeling his head rest right on mine.

"Of course I'm right." He replied.

The night wasn't so chilly anymore. I don't think I'll have to face another cold night ever again.

Because he's here with me.

                                End

___________________________________________

A/N: Thank you so much for reading! I'm really happy you've stuck with the story up until now. I really appreciate all the support I've been given, and love you all! I hope you all have a wonderful day! ♥️